PDA

View Full Version : Combined two tank sump/fuge help

Jakers88
07/16/2008, 12:37 PM
My stand as a divider in the middle of the tank going through it entirely so instead of having one large cabinet there are two smaller ones. I only have tow options for my tank to setup a fuge/sump. Option one, involves trashing the stand I have now and building a brand new one (I want to try and avoid this). I have sketched out a design for the sump/fuge of how I think its going to look, but im not sure if this design will work or not, I plan on drilling a hole in the divider about 1-2" so I can run a straight PVC Tube from two bulkheads, anyways let me know what you guys think. Design one is with a HOB overflow with one drain and design 2 is a HOB Overflow with two drains. I can't figure out how to get the images to show up on the thread , I tried clicking the IMG button and paste the url but it just comes up as a link and now pictures and when I try to attach a file nothing happens, the pictures are in my gallery any help would be appreciated.:confused:

8BALL_99
07/16/2008, 02:20 PM
It will work fine.. Just have your Refuge since the water line is taller drain down to your sump.. You dont need bubble traps in your Fuge since the water flow is slow.. you also dont really nee bubble traps on both sides of your sump. Just between the skimmer section and the return pump.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/586/19582222-med.jpg
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/586/1958222222-med.jpg

Jakers88
07/16/2008, 02:45 PM
What design do you think will work better an overflow box with two drains, or one drain and then just have a T

8BALL_99
07/16/2008, 03:30 PM
I myself rather have two drains.. Just to have a backup. Either way will work though.

Jakers88
07/16/2008, 04:19 PM
Alright cool thanks for the help:)

coralfragger101
07/16/2008, 05:47 PM
I agree that you need to do away with the 3 baffles to the right of your pump as well as the right 2 baffles in the fuge area. Personally (against the norm) I prefer to make my baffles as Under, Over, Under instead of how yours are pictured. If you do it like this then most bubbles will be stopped right away. Any bubbles that do get into the trap should only make it to the center. Most importantly though I like to have the water coming into the pump area at the bottom so that the water level stays calm for a float valve for an ATO as well as to prevent bubbles actually being created in the pump section. If you run your water level too low in the pump section and water comes into that as an Over, then the waterfall that it makes can create bubbles there (defeating the whole purpose of the baffles). You may opt to put a small extra baffle (only a couple inches high) if you have an Under going into the pump section. This would only serve as a deflector in case any bubbles happen to make it that far they will be deflected up towards the surface and away from the pump intake.

I would also put a valve on the fuge pipe to control the flow.

I would suggest that you oversize the pipe that connects the two tanks. Water going through horizontally will not be near what it goes through in a normal "drain" set up.