PDA

View Full Version : Montipora nudibranch?

JohnDinSD
07/16/2008, 02:08 PM
Last night I was observing my aquarium with a flash light and saw some white nudibrach (?) feasting on my purple haze montipora. They looked very similar to berghia, but smaller and slightly different shape. I had noticed that there where some white/brown patches forming on the coral, so I am assuming these to be the cause. I am wondering if these are likey to be specific to montipora or if they will affect my other corals. I have a montipora capricornis and numerous LPS.

Now we get to the dumb part! Not knowing any better and not thinking clearly after waking up at 1 am, I gave the montipora 3 15 sec fresh water dips placing it back in the tank to rest between dips. Also there was a gap between the coral frag and the frag disc which is where even more pests where hiding out. As I rinsed the coral in the tank water these stund, or hopefully dead nudibrachs, where released into the tank.

The purple haze is now a pasty mauve color. Is there any chance for servival? How can I get red of the other nudibranches?

I know this was a dumb thing to do and I will not be so hasty and do more research before I act in the future, but I would like some advice as to how I can fix the current issue.

raulalonso
07/16/2008, 02:48 PM
The problem with nudis is that you may be able to kill the grown ups, but is the eggs that is very difficult to find them and remove them. I got that and did not lose any nig piece, I did freshwater dips, and bought a wrasse that at least for me worked fine and eat the nudis (and flatworm), I need to clarify that "worked for me" dooes not mean that I know as a fact that is the solution for getting rid of the nudis.

Here is a pic of what I faced
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o120/raulalonso/ACUARIO/DSCF1304.jpg

This was the savior
a BLUE SIDED wrasse

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o120/raulalonso/ACUARIO/P1000389.jpg

RCS
07/16/2008, 05:00 PM
If you can pull the colonies, do it. I swished mine in a solution of tank water and iodine (there are dosages around here if you search). Gets the adults off. You can scrub the eggs with a toothbrush. It's best to keep them segregated for a few weeks at least to take care of any hangers-on.

91yota
07/16/2008, 05:19 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1428982

im still fighting mine... my method so far is plucking any that i find... if i cant pluck them, i cover them in super glue... also have had to remove eggs with a toothbrush once when i was lucky enough to find them... right now im on vacation 4 hours from my tank... not sure if my tank sitter is hunting nudis or not... who knows what damage they might do by the time i get home on saturday night :(

JohnDinSD
07/17/2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the replies.

impur
07/29/2008, 04:33 PM
Your best bet is a couple dips in KMnO4 and QT. I'm going thru the same battle. KMnO4 will kill both adults and eggs, but its harsh on the corals, although i have yet to lose one to it.