PDA

View Full Version : Stray current in SW mixing - a problem?

LobsterOfJustice
07/16/2008, 08:20 PM
Hello,

The pump that I use to mix my new SW for water changes leaks current - I discovered this when I went to use the pump for another application and was getting zapped. I have two main concerns. The way my system is setup, my SW mixing tank is plumbed into the sump so I can empty new SW into the sump by opening a ball valve. When the water is mixing (i.e. when the pump is on) the ball valve is closed. Would a closed ball valve stop stray current from continuing down possibly wet piping and into my main system? Secondly, would the stray current do anything chemically or ionically to the new SW I am mixing?

MMM33732
07/16/2008, 08:47 PM
I'm sure its possible for the current to make its way around the ball valve if theres a very very thin layer of water around the ball at all. Thats not too likely though unless the valve leaks with pressure. I'm not too sure what it would do to the salt as far as ion changes go, but I do ask this: Why would you want to continue using that faulty pump knowing its a possible fire hazard as well as hazard to you and anyone/anything that goes near it while its plugged in? Jut throw it away and replace it. Your signature says "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right." So do it right!

IridescentLily
07/16/2008, 08:50 PM
Yikes. As someone who's had a not too serious tank shock in the past, please toss it.

Tang Salad
07/16/2008, 08:51 PM
Electricity will very easily trace down the outside of PVC/Ball valve if there is any salt or moisture on it, and I mean 'Any'.

Toss the pump. They're cheap. :)

LobsterOfJustice
07/16/2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the reality check guys - just threw it in the trash.

Tang Salad
07/16/2008, 08:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12963303#post12963303 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
just threw it in the trash.
Picture or it didn't happen.

:lol:

LobsterOfJustice
07/16/2008, 10:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/LobsterOfJustice/IMG_2330.jpg

Tang Salad
07/16/2008, 10:35 PM
Ahhhhh, thank you. I'll rest easier tonight. :lol:

steelhead97
07/16/2008, 10:50 PM
While we are on this topic, do you guys power off all powerheads, heaters before you stick your hand in the tank?? I've not done that but when i had my 100 gallon I had a heater that was leaking current and I got zapped good. I think anytime you have any electrical device submerged there is a good chance of leakage. I got to remember to do that next time.

LobsterOfJustice
07/18/2008, 10:13 PM
steelhead, I've never heard of anyone doing that.

reefworm
07/18/2008, 11:09 PM
nope. Stuff plugged into a GFI and a voltage probe [ground] is in the sump. however, we should all wear rubber gloves anyway since it's more likely to get a wound or infection than a shock from a well engineered system. there are some real horror stories out there, and I'm trying to be more intentional about it myself.