PDA

View Full Version : Bring corals from US to Europe?

The Cardinal
07/17/2008, 04:39 AM
Hello

I am going to Manhattan in a week and was wondering what rules apply for bringing a few corals, sps/lps, for personal use to Europe (Finland)? I have contacted the authorities here but the knowledge seems to be lacking. Are there any corals that are illegal in Europe but not in the US?

Does anyone know of any good shops in Manhattan or the surrounding area?

Will I need to have the corals as hand luggage or will they be ok in a suitcase under the plane?

There is not one single shop in Finland that sell any corals to speak of and this has been the case for years so therefore this is important for me.

Thanks in advance!

Peter

Fish_wiz2
07/17/2008, 08:23 AM
I think you need a permit (tried this too but canada to US) and the thing can cost alot also no if you put it in a suitcase then it you will be caught and fined plus it will get cold. If it was legal then pack it in a styro box and put it in live department (they should have it).

FB
07/17/2008, 08:57 AM
Look for information on a CITES permit.

http://www.environment.fi/default.asp?contentid=287102&lan=EN

http://www.cites.org/

tkeracer619
07/17/2008, 08:59 AM
Yeah, if its legal have the shop hold your corals untill flight day. Come in, have them packaged in O2 and in a styro cooler. Shouldn't be a problem. Also you might check to see if there are any local clubs that could help you gather some nice specimens.

stdreb27
07/17/2008, 09:19 AM
cambell57 brought some fish back from Hawaii you might talk to him as far as airline rules. However I'm not sure about customs regulations.

areze
07/17/2008, 10:16 AM
if they make you declare fruit, I have to figure live coral isnt going to go over well.

perhaps box it up and ship it overnight discretely?

Fish_wiz2
07/17/2008, 10:52 AM
Corals don't go places easily fish and liverock usually do and easily depending on species (i can't bring chili red arowana from canada) but most are fine

GreshamH
07/17/2008, 01:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12965818#post12965818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tkeracer619
Yeah, if its legal have the shop hold your corals untill flight day. Come in, have them packaged in O2 and in a styro cooler. Shouldn't be a problem. Also you might check to see if there are any local clubs that could help you gather some nice specimens.

If you want to legally bring stuff from the US to the UK you will need the original CITES permits for those corals from when then landed in the US (Country of origin CITES permits). That's the only way to get a CITES item re-exported. Since most stores do not import their own, they will not be able to export any of those items.

This is why it's extremely hard to get our frags around to CITES member nations. That being said I sure hope they figure out a way to ease those regulations on US based propagated corals.

aastretch64
07/17/2008, 01:38 PM
I work for a Customs & Border Protection (CBP) bond surety company.

If you plan to export out of US Customs into your countries Customs then you would contact a International Customs House Broker (CHB) to secure a single transaction bond and to have them file your entry summary. Your country will request that you pay duties on the item, (just as you would pay sales taxes), however the US Customs harminized tarriff code for salt water livestock shows that it is duty free, so you may not have to pay anything. Your broker can better inform you on that.

Alex

Fish_wiz2
07/17/2008, 03:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12967704#post12967704 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aastretch64
I work for a Customs & Border Protection (CBP) bond surety company.

If you plan to export out of US Customs into your countries Customs then you would contact a International Customs House Broker (CHB) to secure a single transaction bond and to have them file your entry summary. Your country will request that you pay duties on the item, (just as you would pay sales taxes), however the US Customs harminized tarriff code for salt water livestock shows that it is duty free, so you may not have to pay anything. Your broker can better inform you on that.

Alex

How about Canada to US regarding salt fish and corals?

The Cardinal
07/19/2008, 05:58 AM
Great advice, I will look into it and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!