PDA

View Full Version : 72 Gallon Bowfront owners, I need help...

Kiel'thalin
07/17/2008, 12:46 PM
Buddy of mine has a 72 Gallon Bow-Front and is trying to figure out what size standard tank can fit in the stand. The longest possible size would be appreciated...

Kiel'thalin
07/18/2008, 05:20 AM
I take it the dimension would allow a 30g long or 20g long? i.e. 12" wide tank no more more than 36" long?

useskaforevil
07/18/2008, 06:03 AM
30 long fits it, i have an 80 gallon bow which has the same dimensions as a 72 except its 3 inches taller. i did have to move the stand off the wall, slide the sump in, and then move the stand back though. it fits with probably 10" to spare.

pgammon
07/18/2008, 07:34 AM
I have a 30 long also. We ended up having to put it in through the top of the stand, it wouldn't fit throught the door or the opening in the back of the stand.

Sk8r
07/18/2008, 07:40 AM
another option, which allows a much larger sump, is mounting it to the side, inside an accompanying piece of furniture like an entertainment armoire or buffet (like a tank stand) from a ding-dent shop or garage sale. The advantage of that solution is more room for equipment and support. I took mine to the basement, via 2 small holes in floor. (hoses), leaving only my light ballasts and scrapers, etc, below tank. Some people have gone to an adjacent closet, etc. The corner displays are great: I love mine; but sump placement is a pita. The scale of top v bottom doesn't give as much room or accessibility for gear as you might like.

Kiel'thalin
07/18/2008, 10:12 AM
Well, he wanted to use a 10g, but I convinced him that there is more room under there for a bigger tank. Right now he has had a Wet/Dry system (smaller than a 10 gallon tank!) under there for 3+ years. He has had some issues, such as the skimmer has never worked because it sit on top of the return pump in the same chamber. Kind of hard to keep a constant level there. Also with a small wet/dry system, he has to keep up on the top offs or the sump will run dry. Another thing with the Wet/dry is the nitrates keep creeping up on him if he lacks behind on the water change, so it is hard for him to keep even the simpliest corals.