PDA

View Full Version : surgeonfish selection suggestions, opinions are welcome

El Langostino
07/17/2008, 03:15 PM
Evening all,

I know, a very dull question, and probably an unnecessary one. I'm just curious as to what people think.

Well, I recently ordered an Atlantic Blue Tang that was swiftly murdered by my Tomini Tang. So I then decided I'd catch the Tomini.....10 hours of net work and several re-aquascapes later,(exhausted) I caught him.

I'd really ideally love to keep two surgeons in my 90 gallon, and I think I want to try a yellow tang. What other tang do you think would coexist best with this fish in a 90 gallon tank?

My first surgeonfish was a 1.5 inch clown tang that I had in this 90 gallon for 2 years before I traded him in at 5 inches, as he was beginning to harass and even slay fish like gobies. That tank was sumpless too, lol...so, I didn't really find the Clown tang all that difficult to keep, who knows I could have gotten an exceptional specimen.

I'd like to try an Achilles and Yellow together, but most people will strongly admonish against this I'd imagine, hehe.

thanks all,
David

REEF-n-Chicago
07/17/2008, 03:29 PM
achilles need more swimming space and a lot of flow

I would say they, even among all tangs, need some of the longest spaces to swim. 8 ft min!

How about a hippo. They are common but the blue and yellow together is quite nice :)

snorvich
07/17/2008, 05:36 PM
Well my personal opinion is that one tang in a 90 gallon is pushing it. Two will eventually be constrained by tank size and therefore become more aggressive.

Macimage
07/17/2008, 08:13 PM
I think one tang in a 90 gallon would be the best. A Yellow or Kole tang would do well in that size and probably not need to be traded due to growth.

Joyce

Zaita
07/17/2008, 08:21 PM
You could put a pair of Scopas tangs in there :) If introduced at the same time they should get along fine.

Not everybodies favourite, but the coloration on them is actually really nice in person. Very peaceful and an active grazing fish too.

nikon187
07/18/2008, 01:56 AM
another atlantic blue? may get too big not too sure but a great looking fish

nauticac4
07/18/2008, 06:57 AM
If you were gonna do it get a Kole and another small tang. Maybe a convict tang? I have a kole and convict in my 120 and they get along very well. Just my $0.02

El Langostino
07/18/2008, 02:00 PM
Thank you kindly all for the suggestions. I bought a male Bluethroat trigger (Mind you, my reef is a very noxious, softy reef) and a Yellow tang. I think I'm going to keep at this and I will not be adding a another tang.

Again, thank you all for responding,
David