PDA

View Full Version : Isolation with corning ware

navychief
07/17/2008, 03:18 PM
Does anyone see an issue with isolating a meat polyp until it gets better with clear corning ware?

BurntOutReefer
07/17/2008, 03:28 PM
I would ask your wife first.... ;-)

navychief
07/17/2008, 03:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12968480#post12968480 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BurntOutReefer
I would ask your wife first.... ;-)
Now that is funny! She has plenty of it. The wife I can handle, not the death of my coral. LOL

BurntOutReefer
07/17/2008, 04:00 PM
Then should be no problems....make sure its clean though...a vinegar bath and rinse....just in case.

navychief
07/17/2008, 04:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12968712#post12968712 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BurntOutReefer
Then should be no problems....make sure its clean though...a vinegar bath and rinse....just in case.

I figured. The only thing I had concern was water movement would be pretty much non-existent.

Aquarist007
07/17/2008, 04:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12968729#post12968729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by navychief
I figured. The only thing I had concern was water movement would be pretty much non-existent.

for an extended stay you will need a heater and a light

I would set up a guarantine tank and put it in there with a heater, power head and lights

Macimage
07/17/2008, 07:58 PM
Do you mean you want to move it into the corning ware? If so, that may not work well, as it would need water movement, light, heat, etc.

You may want to cover it in your existing tank with a strawberry basket to keep fish from picking on it. You didn't mention why you want to move it, so I'm just guessing here. Otherwise, you may want to get a cheap 10 gallon tank setup if you meant you want to move it out of your display tank.

Joyce

navychief
07/18/2008, 12:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12970237#post12970237 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Macimage
Do you mean you want to move it into the corning ware? If so, that may not work well, as it would need water movement, light, heat, etc.

You may want to cover it in your existing tank with a strawberry basket to keep fish from picking on it. You didn't mention why you want to move it, so I'm just guessing here. Otherwise, you may want to get a cheap 10 gallon tank setup if you meant you want to move it out of your display tank.

Joyce

The problem is that my donut coral has been shrinking and I cannot contribute it to any particular cause. My peppermint shrimp seem to be picking at it more than usual, so I decided to keep it in the tank, but in a clear corningware dish until it gets better. Again, I'm wondering if the problem is due to the peps, so I will isolate and see if it improves.

A mystery...

BeesGoneWild
07/18/2008, 08:40 PM
Ok how about this?
Get a tuperware container, Drill big enough holes in it where flow can reach the coral but keep fish out and then strap it in your main tank so it gets ample flow and light.

Apercula
07/18/2008, 10:28 PM
The green basket in this picture is isolating my xenia from whatever it was that ate half the colony.
The red bowl has blastomusa merletti frags being isolated till they have grown a little and can handle having my mobile inverts crawling around on them.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii150/Ganrin/threequartertankpic.jpg

navychief
07/19/2008, 08:54 AM
The corning ware has a clear glass lid so it should get the light it needs unless a certain spectrum the donut needs is blocked by clear glass. I have the lid cocked enough to allow water through but not enough to allow the critters in.

I like your tank, Apercula. Good idea with the basket.

Hopefully I'll see some improvements in its growth return. I'm still unsure what caused it to shrink so dramatically? The pepps are the only cause I haven't ruled out.

I'll post pics soon.