PDA

View Full Version : Adding a second wavebox to my 90gal tank...

USC-fan
07/17/2008, 03:23 PM
So I plan to pick up some more waveboxes for a future tank i'm setting up. While I'm waiting on setting my new tank up I plan to add one to my 90gal. Will another wavebox even work in a tank this size[48"x18"x24"]? I plan to have them across from each other and have the new one as a slave.

Thanks

rvitko
07/17/2008, 03:34 PM
You would have to set the jumper to inverse and water may well splash out of the tank but it would work.

USC-fan
07/17/2008, 05:21 PM
Well I have an adjustable overflow so I can lower the water level. I am really hoping for a 2+ in wave! I will post a video when I get it up and running.

Thanks roger!

Jar*Head
07/17/2008, 05:36 PM
You can achieve 2" even with 1 wavebox as long as you don't have too much rock in the tank. If you do have a lot of rock even with 2 waveboxes it will be hard. Another thing to look at is the pressure created by the wavebox. Make sure your tank is strong enough to handle it....

ReefWreak
07/20/2008, 10:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12969257#post12969257 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jar*Head
You can achieve 2" even with 1 wavebox as long as you don't have too much rock in the tank. If you do have a lot of rock even with 2 waveboxes it will be hard. Another thing to look at is the pressure created by the wavebox. Make sure your tank is strong enough to handle it....

Interesting point about tank strength. I just picked up a wavebox today, and my tank is a bit old. I'm wondering if it will be too stressful on beaten up silicone? Are there any threads with info on this, other than just speculation on tank strength?

Sorry for the derail.

rvitko
07/21/2008, 08:56 AM
It is in the manual, the wavebox reduces the tanks life and stresses the seams and should not be used on older tanks or tanks of questionable integrity.

ReefWreak
07/21/2008, 09:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12990718#post12990718 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rvitko
It is in the manual, the wavebox reduces the tanks life and stresses the seams and should not be used on older tanks or tanks of questionable integrity.

Thanks for the response. I have gone through the manual, and have spent the morning going through the Tunze forums reading all the questions along the lines of the one I had. It's reassuring though that it seems that everyone is worried about their tank, and the only person who actually had a leak was someone with a relatively new tank, compared to everyone else who was worried.

Even you said your tank was older, and you're running it, so you weren't worried (at least that's what I gathered from another thread).

I'm excited to get home this weekend and start waveboxin' it up.

Sorry for the derail... again...