PDA

View Full Version : Moving A Puffer

elecbzerk
07/17/2008, 08:37 PM
This may be a dumb question, but here goes. My small puffer is ready to be out of QT and into his new home. I have read they are seriously stressed when netted. Is netting him ok? or is there another method? I have been acclimating him doing water changes from the 158 to QT, so acclimation would be less stressful. Any advice is appreciated.

LisaD
07/17/2008, 08:43 PM
You can try chasing/herding him into a plastic container, then gently taking it out of the water, acclimating as needed in the container or a bucket, then transferring to the display.

You can also use a large, nonabrasive net - there are some that are finer mesh and gentler on the skin. Then quickly put him in a container to minimize net time.

I try not to net my fish unless I have to, but sometimes it is the best way to capture one.

reefergeorge
07/17/2008, 09:21 PM
When I netted my porc from QT he puffed up. I have heard it is bad if they puff out of water so be careful.

elecbzerk
07/17/2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks Lisa. I think I will try to scoop him off the top after lights out and into a container real quick. he likes to sleep at the top some nights. Hopfully I can do this before he has a chance to puff.

elecbzerk
07/17/2008, 09:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12970869#post12970869 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefergeorge
When I netted my porc from QT he puffed up. I have heard it is bad if they puff out of water so be careful.

Thanks reefergeorge. I am precisely worried about him puffing up. Did yours puff out of water? How did he do?

Recty
07/18/2008, 12:31 AM
Instead of a net, use a piece of tupperware or a small glass bowl. Especially if he is sleeping he will be easy to catch. But basically just slowly get him into it, then carry the who container to your display tank.

This allows him to puff if he has to, but he wont be able to do it with air.

elecbzerk
07/18/2008, 05:49 AM
Thanks Recty. That is exactly what I plan to do. I hope not to have to use the net, or just use it to "coral" him if I have to into a plastic container. Appreciate the advice!

LauraCline
07/18/2008, 11:23 AM
I used a tupperware bowl for mine and it worked fine.

agreeive?fish
07/18/2008, 11:58 AM
Well the method i used with my 16" stars/stripes puffer when i had to move probably wont work for you..but i still like sharing it.

My puffer would lay in my hand and allow me to pick him up out of the water and move him..he did this the first time i moved him from the fish store bag to the qt..he loved to be held..he was about 13 inches when i got him so who ever it was who traded him in must of spent alot of time moving him around or having his hand in the tank...(RIP star..tank crash of 2007)

squealy
07/18/2008, 12:19 PM
Please let us know what happens because I also have a porc puffer in QT who will be ready to be moved in one week. Good luck!

elecbzerk
07/18/2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks Laura. That is what I plan to do.

elecbzerk
07/18/2008, 04:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12974208#post12974208 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agreeive?fish
Well the method i used with my 16" stars/stripes puffer when i had to move probably wont work for you..but i still like sharing it.

My puffer would lay in my hand and allow me to pick him up out of the water and move him..he did this the first time i moved him from the fish store bag to the qt..he loved to be held..he was about 13 inches when i got him so who ever it was who traded him in must of spent alot of time moving him around or having his hand in the tank...(RIP star..tank crash of 2007)

RIP Star......sounds like he was a pretty tame puffer. When I move mine out of QT, (Junior his name) I plan to spend more time trying to feed by hand and get him more used to me. I just don't want to stress him in QT tank.

elecbzerk
07/18/2008, 04:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12974351#post12974351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by squealy
Please let us know what happens because I also have a porc puffer in QT who will be ready to be moved in one week. Good luck!

I sure will Squealy...

elecbzerk
07/20/2008, 08:33 PM
:worried2:

Well, I moved him. I removed rock, put in a plastic container and herded him into it. He did not puff up. He was clearly very angry though. after adding him to the 158 he has hidden and not come out in over an hour. But, that method was very safe, thanks to all who had suggestions.