PDA

View Full Version : which is better?

dartmti
07/18/2008, 10:11 AM
I found these two metal halide fixtures, and I can't figure out which is better. One comes with actinics, and the other doesn't, but says it doesn't need them. Are they pretty much comparable?
link 1: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~lighting_metal_halide_current_usa_outer_orbit_hqi_actinic_lunar.html

link 2: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~lighting_metal_halide_current_usa_sunpod_powerpaq_hqi_lamp_lunar_light.htm l

Or do you think I'll get good enough results with T5s?

Thanks

Matt

DetectiveTofu
07/18/2008, 10:38 AM
Neither of the fixtures in the links you provided have T5's. I would go with the first one though (HQI+PC's). It gives you a little bit of flexibility with color combinations, but the biggie for me would be that you can set the PC's on a separate timer than the HQI and have dawn and dusk effects.
If you can, Current USA makes a HQI + T5 fixture. It is going to run you more money, but it will be worth it IMO. What is nice about having T5's is that there are so many spectrum bulbs to choose from (MANY more than those available for PC's), that it is really hard NOT to find the right color /spectrum combination for you.
HTH

dartmti
07/18/2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks

Sorry if I confused you. I was asking if I should just dump the MH idea altogether and get T5s.

I was looking at the one with t5s, but it's just too much money right now.

Matt

DetectiveTofu
07/18/2008, 10:50 AM
Hm, it depends then. Here is my opinion -
Halide pros:
Most intense light you can get for your reef
Shimmer effect if highly desirable
Halide Cons:
Pulls a lot of electricity (not cheap to run)
Runs very hot

HO T-5 pros:
Small/thin bulbs = more bulbs per area
Very customizable color output due to many bulb color combinations (check reefgeek.com)
Low heat output
Energy effecient (more so than MH's by far IMO)
Bulbs only cost ~$20-22
Competitive PAR ratings
HO T-5 Cons:
No shimmer effect
Not as powerful as MH's

I have T-5's and am very happy w/ them.

HTH

dartmti
07/18/2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks a lot!

Do you think I can keep a crocea clam alive under T5s?

DetectiveTofu
07/18/2008, 10:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12973828#post12973828 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dartmti
Thanks a lot!

Do you think I can keep a crocea clam alive under T5s?

Some have been able to do it, others haven't. Generally, many clams thrive and do better under MH lighting. You can try putting the clam WAY at the top of your rocks as close to the lighting as possible. Some species of clams require more light than others, and I think T. crocea is one of the more light demanding species IIRC. Don't quote me on that though. I think it may be best to avoid the clam though - but that is only my opinion.

dartmti
07/18/2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks again! You really helped me out a lot.

I think I'll try to go for the MH lighting. Another hundred bucks is like nothing in this hobby. lol

MinnFish
07/18/2008, 11:36 AM
Note: MH and T5 heat output are the same. The difference is the T5 heat is more linear and MH is more compacted.

dartmti
07/18/2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks

So which would you pick, Minnfish? (Or anyone else for that matter)

MinnFish
07/18/2008, 02:49 PM
Cost wise T5s. Can't see paying $300 or more for the shimmering effect. Let me clarify, for tanks up to 48in long and less than 24 deep T-5s. Anything above that MH.

dartmti
07/18/2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I would definately pick the T5s in terms of cost. But, I've wanted to keep a crocea clam for a long time and it doesn't seem like I'll be able to do it under the T5s.

Thanks again for all the advice

Matt