PDA

View Full Version : tuskfish longevity

Jerry W
07/18/2008, 02:23 PM
For those of you with harlequin tusks, how long have you had them? Rate them in terms of hardiness and disposition. Are they a fairly sturdy captive fish? I'm considering a re-work of my 120 and may go with more predatory fish. Any other info would be appreicated. My lfs gets them in regularly and I've always been attracted to them. Are there species from various regions that are a better bet(Australia?)
Thanks

StayPuft
07/18/2008, 02:32 PM
I can't speak on longevity because I haven't had mine for very long. But I have an Australian Tusk and it seems like a very hardy fish. Haven't had any problems with it adapting to my tank or the tankmates. Once in a while it gets into a sort of argument with my Picasso Trigger. I saw both face each other and open their mouths, but that was it. Very active fish and interesting.

jnc914
07/18/2008, 11:34 PM
Austrailian specimens are hardier and more vibrant in coloration. they are known jumpers just like any other wrasse, so a tight top might be essential. I have read varying info. in regards to long-term health of this fish. There have been posts here and on WWM regarding the Tusk often suddenly going blind in one or both of its eyes. It is thought to have been caused by captivity and a lack of proper nutrition. I always wanted one, but never pulled the trigger.

danorth
07/19/2008, 10:35 AM
Mine went blind after a year and a half. None of my other fish had an issue and still have them. Not sure what caused it.

LisaD
07/19/2008, 04:10 PM
I had mine three years (2002-2005) until an attack of oodinium wiped out the entire tank, except for the moray eel, which I still have. I replaced that tusk earlier this year, and so far, it's going strong.

Jerry W
07/20/2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the replies. I guess I had heard they weren't long lived in captivity so have always held off on buying one. Interesting about the blindness. I may try to find a nice healthy juvi and hope for the best.

JustinReef
07/20/2008, 02:41 PM
I had mine three and a half years until it jumped. You really do need a tight fitting canopy. Very hardy fish in my opinion though...just not so hardy out of the water.

Recty
07/21/2008, 01:42 PM
They live a long time in captivity, they can get up to a foot long in a aquarium with a good feeding regimen and clean water.