PDA

View Full Version : Local Fish Store

red13miller
07/18/2008, 02:39 PM
So I went to my local fish store today to look and maybe get some frags. When I got to the store I walked around and there was a biocube set up with freshwater turtles in it, they were only 2-3 inches big. I know it's illegal to sell turtles under 4 inches but then I saw a really small sign by the tank that said for educational purposes not for sale, which I was happy to see. But then a guy asked if they were for sale, the guy was kind of pulled a side and I could here that the store manager told him they were for sale and they were $15.

Then about 15 minutes later I asked the store manager if they were for sale and he told me not really. NOT REALLY?! What kind of answer is that. So I'm pretty angry and felt like sharing this with you guys.

A.T.T.R
07/18/2008, 02:41 PM
let me guess
they are selling the paperwork for the turtle

aastretch64
07/18/2008, 02:51 PM
How does a LFS obtain an illegal to sell turtle?

Alex

frungkis
07/18/2008, 09:07 PM
An LFS where I live used to have baby turtles on display in the store. They weren't for show, just as pets. I asked where they got them from, aparentley a Chinese or Japanese restaurant in town breeds turtles for food. All you do is talk to the owner, and if they think you are not a cop, they will sell you baby turtles.

cook
07/18/2008, 10:02 PM
I never would have thought there was a chinese underground baby turtle market. LOL

MrManz1691
07/19/2008, 10:24 AM
The lfs I work at can get and has had them in the past. On of our suppliers has them. The turtles are allowed to be sold for "educational purposes only". All a customer has to do is say they want the turtle either for a class or for teaching a person about the life cycle of turtles. The reason they are "illegal" to sell other wise is because they were afraid that children would be buying them and then puttong them in their mouth and getting sick from it. Or atleast that is what I was told from my boss. Now granted my boss could be blowing smoke up my... But there is my knowledge on the subject. No blackmarket that I know about though.

Tang Salad
07/19/2008, 10:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12979637#post12979637 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrManz1691
The reason they are "illegal" to sell other wise is because they were afraid that children would be buying them and then putting them in their mouth and getting sick from it.
Yep, that's what I've heard as well. Seems a little hard to believe, then again, maybe not.

tent-tacal
07/19/2008, 10:53 AM
its true.thier illegal because there were atleast 2 cases in the 90,s of kids putting them in their mouths and getting salmonella.as long as you say or sign something stating their for educational purposes only(you can say your home schooling your children)than its all good.at the shop i worked we sold 100,s of them,including an albino and a two headed one.everyone finds a loophole.