PDA

View Full Version : How is this light?

Patis46
07/18/2008, 07:17 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/48-Aquarium-Light-T5-HO-4-x-54-NEW-Moon-Lunar-Reef_W0QQitemZ170238808849QQihZ007QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tank is a normal 55G. It will start out as FOWLR but will eventually like ot add a anenomie and maybe some coral.
What do ya think?
Thanks
Pat

kau_cinta_ku
07/18/2008, 07:37 PM
possiable be good, but I suggest going with a fixture that has individual for each bulb. the reflectors make T5's so much better. without the individual reflectors they are not much better than PC's

Patis46
07/18/2008, 08:52 PM
Do you have any suggestions for what your talking about around the same price range?
Pat

hapka16
07/18/2008, 09:56 PM
This looks like the Catalina Aquarium T5 light...i bought a 6 x 39 watt fixture off of ebay as well. I like the light a lot. The bulbs i got with it aren't the greatest but you can always swap them out for ATI's or UVL's. It does have individual reflectors which is good but they are really small. But for an entry level fixture you should be able to keep most, if not all, corals. The only exception my be SPS, but you should if you keep them in the top 1/3 of the tank. But again, for the size of this fixture, it's not too bad. What are the dimensions of your tank? This fixture is 9" wide so if your tank is a lot wider than this then i'd try finding a TEK II fixture on ebay or something of the like. Also, if you want to keep anemones or even SPS i'd get at least the 6 bulb version. I see it's only a bit more expensive. Also, write a message to the seller asking what brand the light is. I hope this helps.

Patis46
07/18/2008, 10:11 PM
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I can afford to get the 6 bulb setup and it should fit nice.
My tank is i bealieve without checking
13w X 21d X 48L. So it should be enough for my needs i think. Gonna buy after i go to the bank in the am and do a little deposit;)

addicted4life
07/18/2008, 10:23 PM
They are Catalina Lights. I have purchased 3 total T5 fixtures from them, and I have had them for well over a year. Saved a ton of money over the tek lights. I agree about the bulbs being a bit weak, but the fixture as a whole is well worth the money. And you can easily buy a bulb at a time for less than $25. I have a 6 bulb that grows sps just fine using ATI aquablue special for my daylights, and the ATI blue+ in place of my atenics.