PDA

View Full Version : how much head do you think a mag 9.5 can pull on the intake side?

areze
07/19/2008, 04:41 PM
anyone?

Im looking for a good 3 feet rise, I havent been able to prime it as of yet, but Im wondering if even I can get it primed, if itll move the water...

Jefe12234
07/19/2008, 04:50 PM
I don't think centrifugal pumps are meant to be used that way. You should place the pump below water level so that it's pushing rather than pulling the water.

RicksReefs
07/19/2008, 04:56 PM
no power head style pump is a self priming pump.
if you can get it primed, it will move the water, but if you lose prime, you could burn up the pump.

AZDesertRat
07/19/2008, 06:04 PM
It will not work, centrifugal aquarium pumps must be below the waters surface to work. They will not lift water on the suction side.

saveafish
07/19/2008, 08:26 PM
Hear it is in a nut shell. IF and that is a big IF, You can get it primed and KEEP it primed it should have the same pull as it does head pressure. But if you cant keep it primed or even pre prime it it wont work adove the water line

AZDesertRat
07/19/2008, 08:39 PM
Wrong. Vertical lift is called negative suction head and they cannot operate under those conditions. Aquarium pumps are not sealed sufficiently nor do they have the proper impeller or volute design to operate under negative suction head conditions. You may get lucky for a few minutes but it will not last and will burn up.

saveafish
07/19/2008, 08:50 PM
<<<< wounders why the maxi-jet was still sucking and spitting water with 2' of suck and 2' head when he pulled it out of the ro/di tub. maybe it did it just to make a mess just for me. ""Aquarium pumps are not sealed sufficiently "" how do you get this? if they arnt sealed they would leak, By sucking air or spitting water.

areze
07/19/2008, 09:17 PM
well I hit up lowes, got a check valve and put it on the end, as well as submerged. primed the line via a T that recirculates at the top and got it going like that, slowly weened off the recirculating valve and it sucked more and more out of the real input line.

finally it pumped, and it pumped well oddly enough, I expected serious loss of flow if it worked at all, but the mag was actually outpacing a 1" drain untill it syphoned.

I turned the pump off later, and kicked it back on and it kept itself primed for those few seconds. I have it off now overnight, I want to know the check valve will hold the prime for a decent while should the power go out.

saveafish
07/19/2008, 09:42 PM
see if you keep it primed it will have a lot of flow