PDA

View Full Version : Accidentaly dosed copper in tank

friedoysterskin
07/19/2008, 10:41 PM
Well, this didnt happen to me but my lfs decided to try and cure some ich in their display tank by dosing come copper, they didnt know it was copper until after they dosed it, so they did 100% water change. I spotted some nice mushrooms in there and was wondering are there any ill affects if i add the mushrooms in my tank? did the rock already absorb too much copper? i noticed a few of their corals had some ill affects (over inflation) and alot of snails were on their back, i think they were dead.

Semper Fi 1959
07/19/2008, 10:43 PM
I wouldnt put them in my tank if YOU paid for them.

How could a LFS dose copper into a display and not know it was copper? How big of a display was it? Did the person doing the dosing get fired?

ihopss
07/19/2008, 10:50 PM
That is risky,

TIMMYE
07/19/2008, 11:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12983239#post12983239 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by friedoysterskin
ich in their display tank by dosing come copper, they didnt know it was copper until after they dosed it

Ummm after reading that, I would not step foot in that store!!!

Slakker
07/19/2008, 11:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12983450#post12983450 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TIMMYE

Bingo...time to find somewhere else to shop.

downhillbiker
07/19/2008, 11:56 PM
agreed. they dont know what the .... they are doing. what if the tank they crashed was yours due to ill advise? find a new place, its not worth the risk.

and as for the rock, i would say NO, why would you even try it? it is way to big of a risk to me for some mushrooms, you will find other shrooms later, i guarantee.

swjim
07/20/2008, 12:06 AM
I agree, stay away, it's not worth the risk.

Anemone
07/20/2008, 12:14 AM
Not to be contrary, but if the mushrooms aren't showing ill effects, you should be fine adding the rock to your tank. I'd just make sure you don't add any of the store's water along with the 'shrooms.

And I agree, I wouldn't shop there in the future, what they "don't kknow" could end up craching YOOUR tank.

Kevin

vsnph
07/20/2008, 01:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12983450#post12983450 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TIMMYE

X2

There might be some other LFS near you worth visiting.

stagefright13
07/20/2008, 02:19 AM
Wow that's a huge mistake. I dosed copper a while back in my QT tank and when I was done I tossed the filter and every hose I used for water changes. JUST in case I needed a hose or something someday. Then I ran tons of carbon for a full week. NETTED the fish then dropped him in the main.

Maybe I am paranoid...

friedoysterskin
07/20/2008, 04:02 AM
Well, i wouldn't really blame them considering that the reef safe bottle looked identical to the non reef safe one, (I forgot the brand). Everything seemed to be doing fine but the snails, the crabs n shrimps were doing fine, i don't know, ill keep a eye on it for a week until i purchase it. i think the tank is like around 200g just by looking, but im not really sure. Don't know if he got fired, i just overheard them talking about it.

hottuna
07/20/2008, 05:48 AM
use a polyfilter ...it will exract all copper back to nsw levels...turns blue as it does...

maroun.c
07/20/2008, 07:28 AM
if you insist on buying the mushrooms which I will not do, At least take them off the rock which could have absorbed some of the copper.
Is it hard for you to get corals from elsewhere and have to buy from this shop and tank?if so:
you could get them for a bargain price in addition to some other corals from that tank, take out the corals only and discard the rocks or use them in your Q tank or maybe a FO. and then keep the corals for weeks in a separate tank with multiple large water changes before you move them to your display tank.

Aquabucket
07/20/2008, 09:08 AM
How big is the shroom rock? How big is your tank? If the LFS changed out the water immediately I doubt much copper was absorbed by the rock. Personally if the shroom is alive and healthy I would not worry about it. Many foods we put in our tanks contain small amounts of copper. You could always test it first in a separate container and put a small snail in it and see how it does.

friedoysterskin
07/20/2008, 11:55 PM
the rock is about half a soda can, i went to visit and the shrooms are doing good, they look normal.

kevin2000
07/21/2008, 12:08 AM
I might use the copper issue to bargain for a reduced price .. but if the mushroom wasn't impacted by the copper thats better evidence than all the posts you will read here.