PDA

View Full Version : Effluent distance to water == less PH effect??

kenargo
07/19/2008, 11:35 PM
Curiosity has the best of me on this one....

I've read a few posts here and there that suggest that if the effluent hose of a C02 reactor is a few (4-6") off the water that it can help lessen the affect of C02 on the PH of a tank.

Personally I don't feel that this short distance, or the drop onto the surface of the tank water would make any measurable difference but I wanted to check with the experts here.

Would dripping the effluent from 6" off the water in a refugium make any difference to the PH of a tank (aka; the PH of the effluent)?

Thanks

bertoni
07/19/2008, 11:42 PM
Well, that approach might increase aeration a bit. I think it'd make a mess more than anything.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/20/2008, 03:30 AM
I agree that the amount of CO2 released from that method would likely be small. Some people have gone to more elaborate ways to aerate their effluent before it enters the tank, and even those have had marginal effects.

kenargo
07/20/2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks, you've pretty much confirmed what I thought....

9501gle
07/20/2008, 10:22 AM
I have found that running a return line that splits from the main pump back to the sump, putting a valve on it, and allowing it to spray into the area where the effluent drips helps the most.