PDA

View Full Version : Office Pico Tanks?

burton14e7
07/20/2008, 02:04 AM
For those of you with pico tanks on your desk, how are you handling evap over the weekends?

burton14e7
07/21/2008, 09:51 AM
Bumpage!

Sabre38
07/21/2008, 11:15 AM
Ive got a 2.5gl tank and I dont top it off everyday though I guess to keep things very constant and stable I should be. I probably top it off every 2-3 days. So Im sure if you top of your tank b4 clockout you should be fine till monday morn.

Ive got a friend who makes his salt mix low in salinity (still within suitable levels) just for that reason. Hell do it that way as to avoid hyper salinity. So basicaly over the weekend salinity level will get slightly higher but never too salty. Personaly though as long as your not losing a lot of water due to evaporation i recomend just wingin it for the weekends.

I would do a trial run. top it of monday b4 clockout then wait till Thurs morn to top it off again. This way you can still moniter the tank while your rehearsing a simulated weekend.

Jadams
07/21/2008, 11:26 AM
when i had a small tank on my desk at work, I would just top it off 3 days a week...

Monday mornings when i came in - 8:00am

Wednesday when i clock out - 5:00pm

And then again on Friday's when I clocked out - 5:00pm

Never really had a problem at all...lasted over 16 months with no problems...

(Well except for that one time someone late at night decided to feed my fish and dumped like a years supply of food in the tank, and I came in the next day to a 1/2" thick layer of crap floating on top of brown water:mad2::eek2::mad2: ) crack heads...:(

I always had a sign on my tank now saying dont touch my tank, or you will die!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Plus leave the fish pellets locked up in your desk drawer, not next to the tank :D)

Che's DW
07/21/2008, 11:53 AM
I have a 6-gal at my office with a 70W metal halide, so it does lose quite a bit to evaporation. M-F, I top off daily. I top off before I leave Friday afternoon and first thing when I come in Monday mornings, and I haven't had any problems with it.

burton14e7
07/21/2008, 12:32 PM
Alright, that should allow me to sleep better at night. I was conjuring up a drip system in my head.