PDA

View Full Version : Who has experience with the Goldflake angel?

flashyleopard
07/21/2008, 03:55 PM
I have been searching for a display fish for my 125gallon mixed reef and I have read that the goldflake are more reef friendly than the regal angels. Any comments on this? Any particular items of not, regarding their care and temprament? Thanks

cwoods8
07/21/2008, 05:11 PM
Depends on the individual......luckily mine is smaller than the regal as he (goldflake) is quite bold........as far as zoos.......took care of them right before my eyes! Other than that......neither the regal nor the goldflake has touched anything else in my tank...

flashyleopard
07/21/2008, 07:45 PM
So it will eat zoas. I had the same reservations about the regal. I think am going with a tang instead.

dones20
07/21/2008, 08:48 PM
like the above said it all depends on the indivisual fish they are each different as far as there behavior its always a hit or miss situation with any large angels if your worrird about your zoos than its not a good fish for you go with a tang

dones20
07/21/2008, 08:50 PM
like the above said it all depends on the indivisual fish they are each different as far as there behavior its always a hit or miss situation with any large angels if your worried about your zoos than its not a good fish for you go with a tang as large angels are especially prone to nip at zoos especially the regal

flashyleopard
07/21/2008, 09:43 PM
great advice and a warning I will heed. I like zooanthids and a fish that eats them will not be a welcomed addition.

adtravels
07/22/2008, 01:54 AM
Bangkok matt's goldflake also ate all his red and green zoons, would not touch the pinks though?? It also picks at his favia and destroyed his open brain, and fungia, did not touch his elegance, and has now taken a liking to his millis, its a beauty though, pokes its head out of the tank at feeding time, hand feeds, a stunner.

BangkokMatt
07/22/2008, 03:04 AM
It is a stunner but, as Adtravels has said, it has tore into some corals (so pleased it destroyed my mass growing zoas:)). It can stay for now - if it causes any real damage to the sps I'm afraid it will have to exit the tank.:(

iceemn360
07/22/2008, 03:10 AM
hmm had a friend keep one with leathers, star polyps, sps, lps no problem .again hit or miss.

gregorfd
07/22/2008, 08:28 AM
I purchased mine because original owner had problem w/him nipping his SPSs.

flashyleopard
07/22/2008, 12:22 PM
I hear the regals are zooanthind and polyp eaters also, but leave sps alone. I just wanted a nice show fish, without the aggression of a tang and a bit larger than most pygmy angels. I think most pygmys are safe, but the few, like lemonpeel, bicolor, and a few others are nippers more than the rest.

snorvich
07/22/2008, 03:13 PM
I had one in a 350g FOWLR tank and it did very well even with other large angels. But I would never risk it in a mixed reef.

BangkokMatt
07/22/2008, 05:01 PM
+1 - but there is fun in a bit of risk for the experienced

flashyleopard
07/22/2008, 05:33 PM
I like them better as juveniles anyway, they are more attractive. I wish majestic angels were the size of yellow tang and reef safe...lol Attractive fish that aren't reef safe are like drugs...tempting, but just say no! LOL

cwoods8
07/22/2008, 05:37 PM
+2.......all for the risk!
Next up...........Holacanthus!!

dones20
07/22/2008, 06:58 PM
as you get deeper into the hobby your taste for the rare will increase and you will begin to take risks like this thus sacrificing a few polyps or a couple of corals for a fish that you really want or a fish that is rare ect..... anyways the point is that if you really are seriouseabout putting any angels in your reef wether its dwarf or large ther will always be a slight risk b/c angels will go around picking at eveything until they find a coralor polyp that they like

cwoods8
07/22/2008, 09:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13001579#post13001579 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flashyleopard
I like them better as juveniles anyway, they are more attractive. I wish majestic angels were the size of yellow tang and reef safe...lol Attractive fish that aren't reef safe are like drugs...tempting, but just say no! LOL

Actually the only difference between the adult and juvenile is the loss of the ocellus........the lips of the adult actually becomes blue which compliments its already awesome coloration....

On the topic of safer angelfish.........why not go with "Genicanthus," as they tend to be planktonic.....eating and swimming in the column much more than other angels....