PDA

View Full Version : Overdose of 2 part (Alk and Ca) caused VERY clowdy tank

jawfish1
07/21/2008, 05:11 PM
I have a 60g tank with a 40g refugium. In the tank I have about 90lbs of LR, a bunch of live sand for my jawfish, etc. This tank is about 6 months old so I don't have much in the tank yet, in fact I'm just starting to add some corals, etc.

Right now I have a couple of fish, which include: pearly jawfish, oc. clown, coral beauty, blue hippo tang "Dory" and a yellow tail blue damsel. As far as coral, I really just put in a very small zoo frag, stylo frags, pocillapora frags and I just put in a flowerpot coral last night.

I run an octopus NW-150 skimmer, a 18W UV, a Two Little Fishies Phosphate reactor and chaeto algae in my refugium to handle my filtration. I don't have a calcium reactor on this system yet, so I use the ESV B-Ionic two part system (really the three part system, because I bought their magnesium too and dose that as well). I've been using this system for years now and it's worked fine.

My water parameters have been doing well. My Nitrates and Phosphates are both near zero (because of the phosphate and Nitrate reactors). My Ammonia and Nitrites are zero.

Well, everything has been fine for the past few months. A little algae here and there, but nothing I would consider a real problem. Last night I had to run into the office and had to work late. My 9 year old son is my designated aquarium helper... Last night while I was gone he attempted to add the two part mix, but he held the large bottle over the top of the tank and attampted to poor the Alk into the measuring cup (this way he would only spill in the tank if it spilled over). Well, he lost his grip or something and ended up WWAAAY over dosing the tank with ALK (and failed to tell me about it).

I just noticed a little bit ago that my water is milky white and there is like a white powder residue on EVERYTHING... The fish seem to be doing ok, but only time will tell. I immediately did a 50% water change (that's all I can do at the moment), but looks like the coral's not going to make it. Especially the flowerpot coral (which I'm really sad about).

What else should I do at this time to help clean up the tank and to help stabilize all the Alk in the water? What should I do next time something like this happens? Is there something I could have had my son add right away to help negate the Alk?

Thanks all... Cheers,

aquaman67
07/30/2008, 06:32 PM
Sorry for your troubles. I found this.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=298873&highlight=alk+AND+overdose

Not sure if it will help.

Good Luck!

supervdl
07/30/2008, 06:54 PM
What's the alkalinity and calcium in the tank? Did you measure it before the water change?