PDA

View Full Version : Getting a wrasse to sleep in container of sand

davez104
07/21/2008, 07:48 PM
Hi all,

I have a small Banana Wrasse, looks the same as what you guys call a Coris Wrasse. He is fairly small and I've only had him for a few days. The thing is, I only have a thin covering of fairly course sand on the bottom of the tank. He seems to be able to bury himself OK most of the time, although sometimes he sleeps half exposed. I've put a container of finer sand in for him to use but so far he won't even look at it. Are there any tips or tricks to getting him to use this or should I just leave him to do it his own way?

Thanks,
Dave.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/Davez104/IMG_0358netsize.jpg

chrisstie
07/21/2008, 08:43 PM
Hehe reminds me of a litter box :) Unfortuantely, I'm not sure what to tell you

dones20
07/21/2008, 08:45 PM
if im not mistaken i beleive that it is actually a yellow corris and not a bannana i wouldnt worry to much as long as he can burry himself he will be fine mine would do the same thing and he livedd for 8 years!

IFbettas
07/21/2008, 08:52 PM
Yellow "coris" wrasses aren't actually in the Coris genus. They go by banana wrasse as another common name along with canary wrasse. The species is Halichoeres chrysus which puts them in the Halichoeres genus with the radiant and christmas wrasses.

JEFFR259
07/22/2008, 08:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12995617#post12995617 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IFbettas
Yellow "coris" wrasses aren't actually in the Coris genus. They go by banana wrasse as another common name along with canary wrasse. The species is Halichoeres chrysus which puts them in the Halichoeres genus with the radiant and christmas wrasses.

+1

SDguy
07/22/2008, 02:09 PM
So back to the question :) I have a small christmas wrasse in a BB QT tank with my acros. I gave him a small tupperware of sand, but he chooses to sleep next to some corals on the BB anyways, so not sure how "critical" the whole sleeping under the sand is for them....

I'd be interested to hear other experiences...

orientalexpress
07/22/2008, 03:00 PM
i had a potter wrass and a radiant wrass with bare bottom tank with a tupperware container full of sands,they're dive right in there after the light is off.

lapsan

davez104
07/22/2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys,

I'm not sure how critical it is for them either, but he does start to look around in a panic when the lights go out before he is ready. He must be learning my lighting schedule though, because last night he was in bed about half an hour before the lights went out.

I might try filling the container right to the brim with sand so that he sees it as a lump of sand rather than a foreign looking object.

Thanks,
Dave.

SDguy
07/22/2008, 05:55 PM
Maybe add some of the coarse stuff to the container so it looks more familiar?

davez104
07/22/2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

dones20
07/22/2008, 07:19 PM