PDA

View Full Version : Completely rebuilding my tank, help with copepods/amphipods

TheORKINMan
07/21/2008, 11:14 PM
So I've been completely rebuilding my tank which is a 30 long as I neglected it for a long time.

I've got the sand bed cleaned up, as well as the 35 or so lbs of live rock, no algae outbreaks to speak of, flow and water params are good.

Tank inhabitants are currently:
1 Honeycomb Damsel
1 Emerald Crab
2 Bumblebee Snails
About 5 Turbos
3 Ceriths
5 or so hermits
A frag of pulsing Xenia
A Frag of Palys
Red Brittle Star
Sand Sifting Star - Note: The Sand Sifting Star is borrowed to help clean up my sand bed as it had gotten quite bad, he's being returned this Wed to his home which is much larger.

Now what I'd like to move on to is rebuilding my copepod/amphipod population as it seems to be at or close to zero. I used to see them on the glass or scurrying around rocks at night but never see anything anymore. So I'm thinking of buying one of those 1000+ pod packs off of ebay that have a bunch of different species. Before I sink money into that I was wondering if any of the above listed inhabitants is going to make that purchase a huge waste of money. I don't mind letting the damsel stay as he is the sole survivor of my neglect, unless he's giong to cause problems with the pod population. Ideally I'd like to let it run fishless for a while, while I add some corals, rock and the aforementioned pods and let the pod population build up some.

*takes a breath*

SO, if anyone could give me some advice or point out any problems with the setup or inhabitants please help me out :) I'm trying to go about rebuilding it patiently this time so that I don't waste money/start neglecting it like I did last time.

aastretch64
07/21/2008, 11:34 PM
I read a post a few days ago saying that pod counts fluctuate up and down. At one point you'll see a huge amount, then they will dwindle down just to re-populate again.

I lost most of my pods when upgrading to my 90 gallon, however within a few months of being established (and setting up my fuge and live sand) they started to populate again.
Get some live sand, some macro algae, or a small bottle of pods from the LFS.

Hope that helps.

Alex

TheORKINMan
07/21/2008, 11:35 PM
Hrm okay that's doable, I just wanted to make sure nothing in there is going to clear out the pods like say a Mandarin would.

TheORKINMan
07/22/2008, 02:24 PM
One bump for the prime daytime users :)

sikpupy
07/22/2008, 04:44 PM
me needs to learn how to do some pod and cop farming. Hmm, what kind of music gets them in the mood? Need to buy some new CDs.