PDA

View Full Version : Caulerpa sertularioides (Feather MacroAlage)

whirley
07/22/2008, 08:55 AM
Hello.
My tank is overgrown with Caulerpa sertularioides. Any one suggest a fish that will eat it all?

I'm thinking a yellow tang, but was wondering if anyone else had any other thoughts. Yellow tangs are nice, but would rather have something different.

thanks
whirley

whirley
07/28/2008, 09:37 AM
I bought a yellow tang, and it doesn't seem to have any interst in eating the feather Caulerpa that has overgrown in my tank.

Anyone have any thought or suggestions on how to get rid of this calupra in my tank? (Besides pulling it out)

Thanks!

whirley

landlord
07/28/2008, 09:46 AM
Very suprising regarding the tang not taking to the caleurpa. I have had success with yellow tang and just about any dwarf angel I have ever owned. I used both a yellow tang and bicolor angel to remove all traces of macro algae from some transferred liverock. They would tocuh the grape caleurpa until I manually started removing it.

Just a thought but... try pulling out as much as possible perhaps the tang is overwhelmed by it being full grown. Maybe he/she will prefer the taste of fresh shoots. Just a shot in the dark.

In any case I am not going to recommend going out and buying yet another fish to tackle the issue for fear of causing the:

"Swallowed the dog to catch the cat to eat the bird to get the spider to eat the fly mentality."

but it worked for me!

Good luck --landlord

acrodave
07/28/2008, 09:52 AM
try a blue tuxedo. they stay small and are "reefsafe"

whirley
07/28/2008, 10:03 AM
blue tuxedo?

acrodave
07/28/2008, 10:07 AM
yes its a urchin

whirley
08/22/2008, 09:25 PM
Well, I bougt the tang and didn't feed is as much, and it still doesn't eat any of the feather caulpra.

Anyone else have any suggestions?