PDA

View Full Version : New lighting T8s?

Allanira
07/22/2008, 11:25 AM
I was looking around for an energy efficient lighting fixture for my aquarium and foun this website that was talking about T8s that are more energy efficient than the T5s. It said that the T8s have better light output than the T5s and they use less energy. Has anyone ever heard of this? I need to get more info on this to find out if its worth me looking at them at all. Thank you in advance.

kau_cinta_ku
07/22/2008, 11:56 AM
do you have a link to the website? I am very doubtful that T8's will be better than T5's due to T5's can use individual reflectors. and you will still be able to fit more bulbs under the canopy using T5's.

Allanira
07/22/2008, 12:02 PM
Heres the website. http://www.bestfish.com/newfl.html
like I said I just googled energy efficient aquarium lighting and started looking at the stuff that was on there. Doing some research. I also have a new book coming in the mail soon hopefully will have some energy efficient suggestions in there. I need to get some stuff that is energy efficient cause my electric bill has skyrocketed and my hubby is about to demand that I get rid of the tank lol. I told him I dont think so. He can get rid of his xbox first lol. Thank you for your help.

WinnipegDragon
07/22/2008, 12:04 PM
T8s are old tech. Think shop lights or office lights.

And it's all about the reflectors!

WinnipegDragon
07/22/2008, 12:06 PM
Just read the article. It's from 2000, and it's comparing T8 to CF. T5HO w/ individual reflectors completely obliterates either from a pure PAR or PAR/watt type comparison.

kau_cinta_ku
07/22/2008, 12:09 PM
wow yeah that is an old artical, before T5's. I know T8's were old tech. but thought maybe someone came up with better ways to make make them better.

IMO stick to T5HO's with good individual reflectors. that will prob. be your best option. unless you have the money for solaras (sp.) then they are very energy effecient but cost a ton:D

alextheromanian
07/22/2008, 12:10 PM
i think it compares t5 to t8....where as noone in the reef hobby uses just t5....they go with the T5HO and those compared to the alternatives ARE energy efficient.

ofcourse to have a t5HO to perform and keep life under it as a metal halide would youd have to hve amazing bulbs and amazing reflectors.

Allanira
07/22/2008, 12:11 PM
Ah ok. Now I am gettin the jist of it. Ok so I can get some lights that are low wattage as long as I have good reflectors on them right? Or am I just gettin everything bassackwards lol. I really want to do this right. I have 4 fish, 5 turbo snails, a mistery snail, 2 red hermits, 2 cleaner shrimp, some feather dusters that just popped up,about 70# LR and about 3"dsb that is a combo of live sand and cc cause I got tired of sand storms in the tank. I would love to eventually get some xenias, a rbta, a couple mushrooms, and I havent decided on the rest yet. I gotta save some money and I need a new light fixture cause I know the one I have right now wont support them. I am doing the research now so when I can afford the light I can get it out and out and not sit on my hands and cry lol. Is there any energy effiicient lights out there that someone would suggest? I know T5s, and MHs are what is mainly suggested but when I look at the the wattage it makes me cringe. I also want to get moonlighting. Does anyone have opinions on what kind and the wattage they use? Crap gotta go smells like something is on fire outside. Thank yuo again for suggestions.

WinnipegDragon
07/22/2008, 12:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12999242#post12999242 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alextheromanian
i think it compares t5 to t8....

Nope, it's T8 versus CF. The characters 'T5' never appear on the page :)

WinnipegDragon
07/22/2008, 12:17 PM
As to the question 'what should you get' what do you want to keep?

If you want SPS and Clams you really do need to get T5HO or MHs. If you want LPS, CF or VHO as a minimum, but T5s are still more energy efficient. You don't need 300+ watts of T5HO if you want LPS as well, you might be able to get by with a 2 x 54w arrangement on a standard 55g even.

If you only want softies, you could get by with T8s likely.

kau_cinta_ku
07/22/2008, 12:18 PM
If you were to get a 4 bulb T5HO setup like the tek or icecap units you would be able to keep anything you wanted to in your 55 gal.

check out reefgeek.com for some decent deals.

WinnipegDragon
07/22/2008, 12:18 PM
Just read you wanted a RBTA. 4 x 54w T5HO as a minimum for a nem on a standard (48 x 13 x 20) 55g.

Allanira
07/22/2008, 12:23 PM
Ok I am about to go check out the reefgeeks website. I have right now an Jebo Odyssea 48" w/ blue life 2x65w 10000k, and 2x actinic 50/50. Is that a good light for what I want or should I still go with a different light? I have had some people say to just through it in the trash cause it was from Jebo. The only LFS within an hours drive only had them. I did get different bulbs for it though. They are still the 65w but I changed them to the Bluelife instead of what came with the fixture. Any opinions on that? thank you again.

WinnipegDragon
07/22/2008, 12:33 PM
CFs are not enough light for a RBTA.

WinnipegDragon
07/22/2008, 12:34 PM
Here (http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Light_Fixtures/48_inch__4x54W_Tek_Light_T5_High-Output_Fixture_(Black)_by_Sunlight_Supply) is what you want.

kau_cinta_ku
07/22/2008, 12:35 PM
actually you may be able to use that for what you want. there have been ppl that have kept BTA's under PC's and have been successful. you may just have to feed it about 3 times a week.

WinnipegDragon
07/22/2008, 12:37 PM
I hadn't heard that, but you have more experience than I do.

kau_cinta_ku
07/22/2008, 12:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12999452#post12999452 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
I hadn't heard that, but you have more experience than I do.

I would say experience has nothing to do with it as I have never tried to keep a BTA under PC's :D this is just what I have read. Bertoni is one person that comes to mind that has kept BTA's under PC's

IMO I wouldn't chance it under PC's, and as you said T5's or MH's would be best.

Allanira
07/22/2008, 12:42 PM
Hey Winnipeg I have that particular light already in my favorites lol. That is the one I want lol. That way after I get the money together I can get it. Its not gonna be anytime soon. Hubby took away my allowance lol. So I am doing the research and seeing what is out there and how good it is. I also want to upgrade from a 55gal to a 120 gal. I will be making my own stand and canopy so that will take the cost down but I need to see what else is out there. I think I can use the same powerheads, and return pump but I am going to need a bigger skimmer than I have. I already told the hubby that I want an RBTA for my birthday. Maybe he will get the hint with me placing some pics of certain lights around the house that I want a new light fixture too lol. I still got a couple months before that so I am good for now. Thank you again for all your help. I really do appreciate it.

WinnipegDragon
07/22/2008, 01:00 PM
No trouble, I've done way way too much reading and my tank has been in planing for well over a year. I just need my stand and I'm off and running.

I have the 8 bulb version of that fixture for my 120g main display, I will be going SPS/clam dominant and I have zero concern about my lighting. Your 55g would look great with that 4 bulb fixture.

Allanira
07/22/2008, 01:05 PM
I would love to get it now but I am out of work for a bit and am trying to find a job lol. So no more goodies for me for a little. The hubby works but we need 2 incomes the way I spend. I should have done more research before I started that way I could have gotten a couple things here and there and had everything good to go when I was ready to set it up. Again thank you everyone fore your help. I really appreciate it.

kau_cinta_ku
07/22/2008, 01:19 PM
sorry had to change the anything to nothing

I would say experience has nothing to do with it as I have never tried to keep a BTA under PC's

I guess I need to proof read before hitting the submit button :D