PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor quick question!

Semper Fi 1959
07/22/2008, 05:02 PM
How fast does the effluent come out on your reactor? I hooked mine up today (MRC CR2) and got it going with the pumps and all, just didn't hook up the CO2 yet. I'm gonna get used to the unit and all that first.

Anyways, with the feed pump and mag 2 on, the effluent comes out of the tube at a very good pace. Not a trickle like a RO/DI unit, but a constant flow.

Is this normal? Thanks!

Semper Fi 1959
07/22/2008, 05:09 PM
Maybe I can answer this question myself...

If I add the CO2, will that cut the rate down of the effluent?

stumpyid
07/22/2008, 05:25 PM
You should be able to turn it down to constant drips rather then a stream. Your rate would send alk through the roof. The effluent should have a ph of 6.5-7 depending on what media you are using. I hope this helps.

jtma508
07/22/2008, 05:29 PM
No. The CO2 will have no effect on the effluent rate. You set both of those rates independently. Most manufacturers want you to set your CO2 so that your effluent pH is between 6.5 and 6.7. If your effluent rate is too high you'll need to add alot of CO2 to get that pH and all that low pH water will end up in your tank causing pH problems. I use a Koralin and at a reasonable CO2 bpm (~20/min) my effluent rate is around 100cc/hr and my reactor pH strays right around 6.7. What does your reactor documentation recommend.

Semper Fi 1959
07/22/2008, 05:34 PM
HAHA! See what happens when you read the instructions? There is a valve on the beginning of the effluent line that I can raise/lower the rate of the effluent.

See why I hooked it up without the CO2 first? ;) LOL

Also, the instructions might as well be in dutch and french. They made NO sense about 2 weeks ago...but after dealing with Marc (Melev) on this project over the last little bit of time, it's making more sense. So I went back and tried to re-read the instructions just now and I'm getting it little by little.

Before I knew anything about this reactor and just 'read the directions', it talked about effluent, manifolds, flanges, micro ball valves etc etc. Sounds sad, but not that long ago I didn't know what the HE-double hockey sticks any of this meant.

THANKS AGAIN MARC! And all of you that have and will continue to help me try to get this daggone reactor working.