PDA

View Full Version : pics of my first clam

DNickell
07/22/2008, 06:47 PM
Hopefully, I've uploaded a couple of pictures of my new (and only) clam. I welcome any and all comments regarding ID, health, placement, or anything else.

The second photo shows its relative positioning to a Candy Cane and a Pagoda. That clown has pretty much made the Pagoda his home, which doesn't seem to bother the Pagoda too much.

I originally placed the clam on the sand, mostly for acclimation purposes. It refused to stand upright in the sand, even when I placed a good sized shell under it. It was obviously trying to move.

After a few days in the sand I moved it to its present position, just to see how it liked this shelf. It immediately grabbed hold and has positioned itself in the light and currents to suit itself. It looks happy to me, anyway. It is not as fully extended in this photo as it usually is, and the photo doesn't do justice to the coloration.

I apologize for the poor photos. I'm still trying to figure out how this new digital camera works.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/DNickell/IMG_0445.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/DNickell/IMG_0438.jpg

skinz78
07/22/2008, 07:08 PM
It's a nice looking crocea, here is a good link for clam id

http://www.reefaquariumforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1994

DNickell
07/22/2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks. Based on what I had been able to find I had thought it was a Crocea and I think I've got it in a spot it likes.

The color has improved in the nearly three months I've had it. The LFS had three of these and the owner said he got them because his supplier offered them as "discount clams."

I had been wanting clams for a long time, but wouldn't even consider it until I made the switch from Power Compact to Halide lighting. The clams sold for $30 but I wasn't willing to get more than one since I didn't know for sure I had everything in my tank ready for a clam.

Within a week after adding this clam I got my first ever outbreak of Cyano. That stuff will make you wish for a good case of hair algae! I have been battling it back, and lost a coral and a fish during the process. But, this clam seems to have done alright.

(The Candy Cane nearly doubled in size during the Cyano outbreak. I think it likes the stuff!)

DNickell
07/24/2008, 07:42 PM
Any suggestions on how to get those crisply focused closeup shots I always see of everyone else's reef?

I'm assuming you have to use manual focus. (I have a new Rebel and I'm missing my old Mamiya 35mm fully manual camera.)

skinz78
07/24/2008, 09:44 PM
The only thing I can suggest about photography as I know nothing about it is most clam pic's you see are taken from the top of the tank down on the clam.

quicksilverq
07/25/2008, 07:58 AM
crap I am a photographer and its hard when the water riples to get them pictures I use a slight angle helps me a little.

DNickell
07/25/2008, 09:45 AM
My first degree (I was a professional student for a good while) was in journalism and I had a few photography classes and did all the photography for the county paper I edited for nearly two years.

Even though I haven't figured out this new digital camera, I know a fair amount about basic technique. BUT, I can't seem to get good pictures through the glass and water. To take a top down pic, I would have to turn off all my powerheads, as I have a lot of ripples at the surface.

quicksilverq
07/25/2008, 01:38 PM
same with me same with me....

NewbieForever
07/27/2008, 08:49 PM
Even though I haven't figured out this new digital camera, I know a fair amount about basic technique. BUT, I can't seem to get good pictures through the glass and water. To take a top down pic, I would have to turn off all my powerheads, as I have a lot of ripples at the surface.

You could use a photobox, depending on the camera they are easy to make.

DNickell
07/28/2008, 11:37 AM
I Googled "photobox" and didn't find what you must be referring to.

Is it a plexiglass box to fit over the lens so that you can penetrate the surface of the water without getting the camera/lens wet?

The other problem I have with photos, or even viewing, from the top of my tank is that my halides are suspended just over the surface and create a blinding glare.