PDA

View Full Version : Octopus 150 Recirculating protein skimmer owners HELP!

findingnemo2
07/23/2008, 07:34 AM
Here is what is happening, or not happening I should say, I purchased the Octopus 150 Recirculating protein skimmer, plumbed it out of sump, put a mag 1.9 on to feed it. I bought this from Marine Depot and they suggested the Mag 1.9.
It doesn't seem to be doing very much. No dark skim. The only thing I had on this tank, which is a 110 gallon, was a cheap sea clone, which was given to me. My thinking is with a better skimmer, it would pull more junk out. The sea clone skim mate was a dark smelly icky stuff. With this new skimmer, it is a light green. I have adjusted the pump, which I might add is hard to do, it seems to have no all the way up or all the way down feature, fiddled with the ball valve, did everything to try to get this adjusted.
I am in need to know what some things are on this skimmer also, like the silencer for instance, it has two outlets, which I ran tubing from one, I am assuming it is to let air in. What is the other small piece coming off of that, the white tube for? If anyone has this skimmer and can give me help it would be very much appreciated. I have this picture with it not running and will try to get one of it running when I get my camera charged. Thanks! http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/585/1670275.jpg

silver17jo
07/23/2008, 07:38 AM
skimmer's take a while before they "break in". Once this happens it will produce. I would give it two weeks.

findingnemo2
07/23/2008, 07:40 AM
After that it should start skimming better? Dang I hope so, I am worried that my corals will suffer with this poor skimming going on as it is. Thanks!http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/585/1670275.jpg

svynx
07/23/2008, 07:46 AM
I spoke with you before about the skimmers. Ours are similar. I think the only reason that mine started working after about a day was that I 1: cleaned it by running it with vinager for a few hours, and 2: the skimmer I had before wasn't doing anything anymore. There was a lot of skimmable crap in my tank that it just wasn't pulling out, so after putting a better skimmer on, even though it wasn't fully running, it still pulled crap out.
But I agree with silver...give it a week or two to really break in. There's something with electrical charges that have to equal out between the bubbles and the plastic inside the reaction chamber (read that somewhere on here), and that takes some time.

findingnemo2
07/23/2008, 08:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13005214#post13005214 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by svynx
I spoke with you before about the skimmers. Ours are similar. I think the only reason that mine started working after about a day was that I 1: cleaned it by running it with vinegar for a few hours, and 2: the skimmer I had before wasn't doing anything anymore. There was a lot of skimmable crap in my tank that it just wasn't pulling out, so after putting a better skimmer on, even though it wasn't fully running, it still pulled crap out.
But I agree with silver...give it a week or two to really break in. There's something with electrical charges that have to equal out between the bubbles and the plastic inside the reaction chamber (read that somewhere on here), and that takes some time.
Yes we did talk, yours is a Octopus 150, but not recirculating.
I also have a very low bio load, maybe that is part of it, but i tend to feed heavy.
To tell you the truth, and I think maybe I told you this before when we pm, If it doesn't start doing something, I am going to see about getting something else and selling this one. I am going to give it another week. I set out to get something that was plug N play, this doesn't seem to
I was hoping some Octopus 150 recirculating owners would chime in and tell me what pumps they are using or how to dial it in right, if I need to. Maybe I am just being impatient. Which is not the name of the game in SW reefing I know. I am worried about my corals and fish is all. Thanks!

svynx
07/23/2008, 09:26 AM
I've heard from a number of people that the regular Octo's work just as well as the recirc ones. After waiting a week or two, and you still are not satisfied, you might want to look into the one that I have, or bigger if you choose. I haven't touched mine since I put it in and got it dialed (which took about 4 hours...adjust, let it sit for an hour, adjust a little more...) Now, I just sit back and watch the collecter cup fill.
Sorry to hear that you are still having issues with yours. I hope things turn out better for you.

IslandCrow
07/23/2008, 09:46 AM
OK, if that picture is with the skimmer working, you need to adjust the ball valve to get the water level up in the skimmer. The more you close the valve, the higher the water level will go. You want the bubbles to be getting well up into the neck of the skimmer so you can actually see them bubbling up into the portion going into the collection cup. The main chamber should also be filled with bubbles. . .except for towards the bottom anyway. If it's not doing that, there may be something wrong with the needlewheel pump.

As for the silencer, it looks like you have it set up correctly. The second hole/tube is just to let air in, so it's not connected to anything. Personally, I really don't like the stock silencer. It seriously degrades the performance of the skimmer. What I did instead was cut about a 4" piece of 3/4" PVC. I then took two slip on end caps and cut a 3/8" in the center of each one. You then fill the PVC with either that spray foam or better yet buy some insulation foam and cut it so that it fits in snuggly. Drill a hole through the foam, and put on the end caps, so what you've got is a cylindrical object with holes at either end and through the middle. Insert the air tube from the skimmer in one end and a small piece of tubing (2-3") in the other. Instant silencer, and it doesn't degrade the skimmer performance. Or, if you don't mind the little bit of extra noise, just eliminate the silencer entirely.

findingnemo2
07/23/2008, 11:50 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/167027new_picture1.jpg
This is the skimmer running
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/167027new_picture2.jpg
I am pointing out the ball valve and how much it is closed
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/167027new_picture3.jpg
Here is the tubing to the silencer. The clear plastic tubing, as you can see, seems to have condensation in it. If I should decide to take the silencer off is the condensation going to run out..does it need a collection cup as well? What do I do with the tubing once the silencer is taken off..leave it on/off?
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/167027new_picture4.jpg
This picture shows the bottom of the skimmer and it has no bubbles in the bottom part of this skimmer.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/167027new_picture5.jpg
This is the foam that was produced over 24 hours and the bubbles never get past this point. Keep in mind that this tank has never had a decent skimmer, and it just produces this stuff
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/167027new_picture7.jpg
This is the lid after 3 days. It appears darker in the picture but it is actually a green color.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/167027new_picture8.jpg
And this is what came off of the lid...brownish green goo.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/167027new_picture6.jpg
This is what the skimmer pulled out and into my resevoir in 24 hrs.
I hope these pictures explain a little more than I could about what's going on. Thanks!

JRaquatics
07/23/2008, 12:00 PM
Your skimmers seems to be running fine. I would suggest you remove the blue airline from the silencer. There is no need to do that. All your doing is restricting the air input and increasing the wattage on the pump.

findingnemo2
07/23/2008, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13006875#post13006875 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JRaquatics
Your skimmers seems to be running fine. I would suggest you remove the blue airline from the silencer. There is no need to do that. All your doing is restricting the air input and increasing the wattage on the pump.

Okay, I removed the whole top of the silencer, was just going to remove the blue airline tube, but took it completely off, so, now all that is left is the clear tubing with condensation in it. Should this have condensation in it?

findingnemo2
07/23/2008, 12:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13006953#post13006953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by findingnemo2
Okay, I removed the whole top of the silencer, was just going to remove the blue airline tube, but took it completely off, so, now all that is left is the clear tubing with condensation in it. Should this have condensation in it?

Instead of saying the top of the silencer, I should have said removed it completely except for the tube. Thanks

findingnemo2
07/23/2008, 04:31 PM
Bump-a-d-bump!

cowdawg
07/23/2008, 05:08 PM
It looks like your skimmer is working fine. Taking off the silencer like you did cant hurt either. My recirc 150 does about the same as yours, however, I have it skim a tad drier.

cowdawg
07/23/2008, 05:11 PM
Oh yea,
There's not supposed to be any bubbles in the bottom of the skimmer. That way it can put relatively bubble free water back in your tank. HTH

findingnemo2
07/23/2008, 05:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13008973#post13008973 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cowdawg
It looks like your skimmer is working fine. Taking off the silencer like you did cant hurt either. My recirc 150 does about the same as yours, however, I have it skim a tad drier.

Yes, I think it did help.
How do you make yours skim drier? Thanks!

findingnemo2
07/23/2008, 05:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13008991#post13008991 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cowdawg
Oh yea,
There's not supposed to be any bubbles in the bottom of the skimmer. That way it can put relatively bubble free water back in your tank. HTH

There may look like bubbles are in the bottom, but the picture kinda washed out.........no bubbles in the bottom. Thanks!

IslandCrow
07/23/2008, 06:32 PM
Sorry, I didn't do a good job reading your post, and I thought that first picture was with your skimmer running. I agree with everyone that it does look like your skimmer is running fine. To skim drier, you simply open the ball valve a little to bring the water level down. I think you should leave it like it is, though. It'll probably take a little while to really break it in, but in addition to the wet skim you get in the reservoir, you'll get quite a bit of gunk collecting on the sides of the neck. I try to clean my collection cup out a couple times a week, but it's usually more like once a week, and the gunk is about a 1/8" thick all the way around. The wetter you skim, the more of that makes it all the way out of the skimmer. Your skimmate won't be as dark green, but there will be more of it, and in the end, you'll be getting a lot more DOC out of your tank.

findingnemo2
07/23/2008, 08:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13009548#post13009548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IslandCrow
Sorry, I didn't do a good job reading your post, and I thought that first picture was with your skimmer running. I agree with everyone that it does look like your skimmer is running fine. To skim drier, you simply open the ball valve a little to bring the water level down. I think you should leave it like it is, though. It'll probably take a little while to really break it in, but in addition to the wet skim you get in the reservoir, you'll get quite a bit of gunk collecting on the sides of the neck. I try to clean my collection cup out a couple times a week, but it's usually more like once a week, and the gunk is about a 1/8" thick all the way around. The wetter you skim, the more of that makes it all the way out of the skimmer. Your skimmate won't be as dark green, but there will be more of it, and in the end, you'll be getting a lot more DOC out of your tank.

Thank you so much, you and all the others, including reefergeorge the other day, have eased my worries! Thanks a million!

surge19us
07/24/2008, 05:26 AM
Be careful running without the silencer. If the air intake tube falls out you could have a huge flood if there is any power interuption.
Just make sure you secure the air intake where it is supposed to be mounted with the silencer.

IslandCrow
07/24/2008, 08:27 AM
Very good point. If the top of the tube is below the water level, you will get a siphon if you lose power. I tend to forget about this since my skimmer is inside my sump. A bit of silicon or something similar could certainly be used to keep it in place. Of course, if you're still getting good results with the silencer, there's probably no reason not to use it.

findingnemo2
07/24/2008, 08:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13011865#post13011865 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surge19us
Be careful running without the silencer. If the air intake tube falls out you could have a huge flood if there is any power interuption.
Just make sure you secure the air intake where it is supposed to be mounted with the silencer.

I am putting that back on RIGHT NOW! So far, I have had NO flood, and sure don't want one. Thanks for telling me this.....I had no idea! Thanks again!

findingnemo2
07/24/2008, 08:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13012556#post13012556 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IslandCrow
Very good point. If the top of the tube is below the water level, you will get a siphon if you lose power. I tend to forget about this since my skimmer is inside my sump. A bit of silicon or something similar could certainly be used to keep it in place. Of course, if you're still getting good results with the silencer, there's probably no reason not to use it.

findingnemo2
07/24/2008, 08:54 AM
I don't really know what you mean by top of the tube, are you talking about what I am pointing to in this picture?http://http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/167027new_picture3.jpg If so, the bottom part is below water level and the top part is. So, I guess I will go ahead and leave the silencer on just in case........... Thanks!

findingnemo2
07/24/2008, 08:59 AM
Correction: the top part is NOT below water and the bottom part is. I am trying to show you the picture of me pointing to the top and bottom of the tube, let me try to put the picture here again. http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/167027new_picture3.jpg

IslandCrow
07/24/2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I'm talking about the portion of the tube that would be open without the silencer, so exactly where your topmost hand is pointing. Keeping the silencer on should definitely keep it where it's supposed to be, so you should be good. I went ahead and checked it out on my own skimmer, and as long as you keep everything where it is in the picture, the water gets close to the top of the tube, but doesn't spill out.

reefergeorge
07/24/2008, 08:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13016978#post13016978 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IslandCrow
Yeah, I'm talking about the portion of the tube that would be open without the silencer, so exactly where your topmost hand is pointing. Keeping the silencer on should definitely keep it where it's supposed to be, so you should be good. I went ahead and checked it out on my own skimmer, and as long as you keep everything where it is in the picture, the water gets close to the top of the tube, but doesn't spill out.

In a power failure your tube is high enough, but if the skimmer pump fails, and the feed pump stays on it will still flood. The easiest way I fixed this is by running new 1/4" tubing, and having the open end over the sump.
Just an idea because it happened to me. :)

pledosophy
07/24/2008, 10:57 PM
I have the same skimmer here are my observations.

If you want to remove the silencer but keep the tube in place, you can do it very easily with scotch tape. Just wrap the tape around the airhose a few times after it is through the provided hose holder.

Mine took about 6 days to break in but has been good since.

I skim very dry, but that's the way I like it.

Keeping the neck clean will increase skimmer production significantly, as well keeping the body of the skimmer clean.

Either I'm getting used to it or after the pump breaks in it gets a bit quieter.

I've been using this skimmer since April.

HTH

surge19us
07/28/2008, 02:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13017206#post13017206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefergeorge
In a power failure your tube is high enough, but if the skimmer pump fails, and the feed pump stays on it will still flood. The easiest way I fixed this is by running new 1/4" tubing, and having the open end over the sump.

I turn my skimmer pump off all the time for maintenance and just allow the water to circulate through. I don't see how a skimmer pump failure would cause flooding. As long as the air intake is above the static(pump off) water level, it should never flood. Another option is to add new tubing long enough for the intake to be above the entire skimmer.:)

reefergeorge
07/28/2008, 03:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13039530#post13039530 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surge19us
I turn my skimmer pump off all the time for maintenance and just allow the water to circulate through. I don't see how a skimmer pump failure would cause flooding. As long as the air intake is above the static(pump off) water level, it should never flood. Another option is to add new tubing long enough for the intake to be above the entire skimmer.:)

My water level when the rec. pump is off is about halfway up the neck. Well over the stock tubing location. I added new longer tubing to fix it.

findingnemo2
07/30/2008, 08:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13017206#post13017206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefergeorge

reefergeorge, so, I need to run the 1/4 tubing from the bottom of my skimmer, shown in the picture? Are you saying take that tube that came with the skimmer off and replacing it all together with new tubing and have it hang over my sump? Thanks a million!

findingnemo2
07/30/2008, 10:57 AM

reefergeorge, so, I need to run the 1/4 tubing from the bottom of my skimmer, shown in the picture? Are you saying take that tube that came with the skimmer off and replacing it all together with new tubing and have it hang over my sump? Thanks a million!

reefergeorge
07/31/2008, 02:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13053053#post13053053 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by findingnemo2

That is what I did.
You also could just have it above the top of the skimmer. With the longer tubing you shouldn't need the silencer anymore.
FWIW. If you change the tubing keep the skimmer running or it will leak when you remove the tube from the venturi.

tangtang clown
08/01/2008, 06:38 AM
findingnemo2- I recently did the mesh mod and venturi mod to my Octo 200 Recirc and this is all mine does after two days. I want to replace the pump, but after reading all the stuff about waiting two weeks, I guess I will have to give it some time. If you are getting foam out of the top, you skimmer is doing good( better than mine). All I have is "soda" fizz at the top of my column. This is what it looks like:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/bnutz8/Picture010.jpg

findingnemo2
08/02/2008, 03:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13062157#post13062157 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefergeorge
That is what I did.
You also could just have it above the top of the skimmer. With the longer tubing you shouldn't need the silencer anymore.
FWIW. If you change the tubing keep the skimmer running or it will leak when you remove the tube from the venturi.
Glad you told me this, I have not changed it out yet, but I am going to also, reefergeroge, I thought you were talking about the limp tubing that came to use with the drain cup drain, had no idea you meant the silencer! Thanks for all your help and have a good one now.

findingnemo2
08/02/2008, 03:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13066484#post13066484 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tangtang clown
findingnemo2- I recently did the mesh mod and venturi mod to my Octo 200 Recirc and this is all mine does after two days. I want to replace the pump, but after reading all the stuff about waiting two weeks, I guess I will have to give it some time. If you are getting foam out of the top, you skimmer is doing good( better than mine). All I have is "soda" fizz at the top of my column. This is what it looks like:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/bnutz8/Picture010.jpg
Tangclown, are you as disappointed in this skimmer as I am? I wanted the dark almost black stuff I have seen other skimmers pull out.
Yes, I am getting lots of bubbles and foam at the top and I guess a lot of green stuff, but not black stuff like I had hoped for.
I am not going to do mods....period. I am not handy and don't have a clue, so no mods for me.

reefergeorge
08/02/2008, 04:08 PM
You have to remember to that the skimmer can't skim if there isn't anything to skim. My skimate color is a dark coffee color, and the neck gets 1/8" of gunk coated in it. I probably get <1 cup a week, and I have a 6" puffer, and a 3" trigger.
When my skimmer pump went out (bad mesh mod attempt). I went without a skimmer for 2+ weeks waiting for the new pump. When I put the skimmer back on the tank it skimmed like crazy for a week. Then went back to normal. So when you see pics of the nasty stuff others pull out. You may have to ask a little more about their system.

findingnemo2
08/03/2008, 09:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13075914#post13075914 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefergeorge
You have to remember to that the skimmer can't skim if there isn't anything to skim. My skimate color is a dark coffee color, and the neck gets 1/8" of gunk coated in it. I probably get <1 cup a week, and I have a 6" puffer, and a 3" trigger.
When my skimmer pump went out (bad mesh mod attempt). I went without a skimmer for 2+ weeks waiting for the new pump. When I put the skimmer back on the tank it skimmed like crazy for a week. Then went back to normal. So when you see pics of the nasty stuff others pull out. You may have to ask a little more about their system.
You know what, I had not thought of that. I have the 1/8" of gunk also, so, I promise to quit stressing about this skimmer and your so great to help me do that! Thanks a million reefergeorge! Your great as usual!

tangtang clown
08/11/2008, 06:39 AM
findingnemo2- It has been 12 days since I did the meshmod. I have a decent load. 1: 4" Naso, 1: 3" Yellow Tang, 1: 3" Maroon Clown, 1: 2" bi-color blenny, 4: Peppermints, 1: cleaner, and 1: coral banded. Tons of live rock. lot of corals, and no skimmate.
I am thinking about ordering a regular needlewheel impeller for the pump and trying that again. I am sure that as soon as I order the NW impeller this modded one will kick in. HAHA. Do you have any updated pics? I will post some this evening.