PDA

View Full Version : URGENT

alextheromanian
07/23/2008, 09:15 AM
oh man oh man im so stupid i just realised today when i woke up that the new sw tank i had set up and had rock cycle in i used a HOSE METAL CLAMP in the sump for...to keep the hose on the return pump.

do you guys know if this is toxic in any way? i have nothing in there but rock and sand ...

is the rock reusable?

matthewscars
07/23/2008, 09:22 AM
how long was it in there?

Just test for copper, but if you dont put anything in the tank for awhile and to water changes, you're fine.

Capt_Cully
07/23/2008, 09:24 AM
Agreed. I dropped a razor blade in my tank and freaked because I couldn't find it to get it out. In my tank it just corroded (sp?) away and did not affect anything.

Like matthew said, the scarriest thing is copper. If you test for that and it's 0, you should be good. Don't forget to get the clamp out and replace it with a plastic hose clamp....

alextheromanian
07/23/2008, 09:41 AM
will do guys thank you!

im pretty sure they are made of steel but i will test for copper :)

today the cycle is done and i get to move some of the rocks in the diplay and REAQUASCAPE!

Capt_Cully
07/23/2008, 09:50 AM
Always fun. Can be tough too. Hard to imagine what things will look like when corals are mounted and growing in.

Best of luck.

Don't forget, we love pictures on RC!

Oh, BTW, I just noticed you're in Binghamton. There are a ton of great reefers down there. Go to the Southern Tier Reef Socitey under the local reef forums about half way down on the forum jump dropdown. They're always having meets and swaps and some of those guys have incredible corals for sale. Cheap. Just go in and post, "hi new here" and they'll take it from there.

Also check out URS, upstate reef society. There's some cross over of people.

Capt_Cully
07/23/2008, 09:51 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=492

Capt_Cully
07/23/2008, 09:51 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&forumid=117

Playa-1
07/23/2008, 09:57 AM
If you haven't yet, Then you need to get it out and secure your hose in a different fashion.

abulgin
07/23/2008, 11:15 AM
People use metal hose clips all the time. In fact, the people at AquaC recommend using them for securing the hoses to the skimmer/pump.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Playa-1
07/23/2008, 11:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13006569#post13006569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by abulgin
People use metal hose clips all the time. In fact, the people at AquaC recommend using them for securing the hoses to the skimmer/pump.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I would suggest that you give this a read.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Saltwater-Aquarium-3215/Similar-Problem.htm

abulgin
07/23/2008, 12:01 PM
I stand corrected. Found this also:

Yikes Steven! It's safe to say that you should avoid any type of metal clamps on your pump connections. Granted, the stainless steel pumps will last a bit longer in a saltwater environment versus other metal clamps, however even they will still rust. Definitely not a good thing. There is also a chance that your clamps may be Zinc or Aluminum plated - this definitely a big 'no no'. I'd suggest you remove the clamps ASAP and opt for either a few strong zip-ties or plastic hose clamps.

twoodall
07/23/2008, 12:07 PM
NICE! I did an inventory when abulgin mentioned Aqua C. Seems I have a clamp to replace after the article read posted by PLAYA-1. The work is never done!

Don't hate the PLAYA hate the game!

Thanks for the additional information PLaya

alextheromanian
07/23/2008, 08:40 PM
well thank you to all and im glad this post hasnt helped just me out.. twooddall got something out of it too :)