PDA

View Full Version : Plennum or no plennum

Mike Murphy
07/23/2008, 11:59 AM
OK so maybe I spelled it wrong with one too many "n"s

I have a 55 that has a plennum and been in operation for 3 years zero on the nitrates with about a 3-4 inch dsb.

Now the 125 is ready and I have over 200 lbs of live rock to add as well as about 230 lbs of aragonite and I'm anxious to get it up to speed. It is full of fresh water on a wet test run for a few days while I fine tune a few things. I could make a plennum out of the eggcrate on hand but all my research has led me to believe it may not make much difference in the long run. Great skimming, lots of flow and a big sump as well as a 40 gallon fuge.

Comments?

Thanks

Mike Murphy
07/23/2008, 02:48 PM
OK did a search on the archives and as I remembered before it's a mixed argument so I think I'll go with one anyway.

ginger7286
07/24/2008, 10:12 AM
I am running a plennium/refugium in my 125 reef tank. My nitrates were running high (20ppm) but I have since added a lot more chaeto and a brighter light (6600 Kelvin). Nitrates are way down (5 ppm) I will admit I am about 5-6 fish over stocked in my tank so I am stuck with dealing with high nitrates until attrition takes over. Anyway good luck.

saveafish
07/24/2008, 10:58 AM
Well I have read a lot on plenum's. This is the simple answer I got IF you know how they work and understand them than use them if you have the smallest question than dont do it.