PDA

View Full Version : Feeding chalices

Animal Mother
07/23/2008, 12:32 PM
What do you Chalice lovers feed your echino's?

I never see mine let out their sweepers. I've tried feeding at night too.

sufunk
07/23/2008, 12:52 PM
Try some frozen cyclopeeze.

Mine almost always have their feeders out at night but even during the day i can usually get them to come out. I feed with frozen cyclopeeze and they usually put out their feeders after i feed the cyclo to my acans. If they dont open up, i just squirt a little cyclo on the chalices and they will usually put their feeders out.

Animal Mother
07/23/2008, 12:55 PM
Okay. So I might do better turning off my pumps and letting the food actually settle on the chalice for a moment.

Do they respond like sun polyps? Takes about 10 minutes for them to really open up.

sufunk
07/23/2008, 01:23 PM
Sorry, forgot about that, definitely turn the pumps off. If mine dont or arent open, i squirt a little frozen cyclo on them and just let them it sit on them. After a few minutes, they are almost always open and eating.

The only problem i ever have feeding mine are my tangs going crazy and stealing their cyclo. They've learned to just swish their tails over the chalices and stir up the cyclo and knock it off so they can eat it:mad:

Animal Mother
07/23/2008, 01:32 PM
I don't have too much competition in the tank my chalices are in so that shouldn't be a problem. The wrasse sleeps under the sand and doesn't come back out until daylight, and the rabbitfish is a wuss so I just wave my hand at the tank and it hides.

sufunk
07/23/2008, 01:35 PM
Must be nice! lol

My tang's, especially the hippo, have made it nearly impossible to feed my chalices and acans:mad: I even feed the tang's heavy before i feed the corals but they still go crazy for the cyclo like ive been starving them to death!