PDA

View Full Version : fan wiring

reefworm
07/23/2008, 01:39 PM
OK, I'm pretty DIY challenged, but I thought I could handle a fan. Guess not. Just got a 4" cooling fan from Captive Sun. The wires are white, black and green. There are two hook-ups on the fan body. Which two wires go there? I'm assuming the other is ground, and the fan came with what I guess is a ground connection - a place to crimp down the wire with a flat ring on the other end. Where does that attach? I see no where on the fan to put it. Since this will be a marine application, should the wire attachments be heat shrunk, or will crimping with a wire cutter do? Anything else I should know but was too ignorant to ask? [I've sent a similarly worded e-mail to the seller, but hoped you guys would respond more quickly]

many thanks!
-rw

AZDesertRat
07/23/2008, 02:33 PM
Since the wires are black white and green I assume this is a 120v AC fan.
I would return it myself and buy a 12v DC computer fan in its place. DC is safer around aquariums and they also give you the advantage of variable speeds by using a simple $5 variable voltage power supply available at Wal Mart or any computer/electronis store.
Computer fans normally have a 4 pin wiring connector but only three wires inside it, red, black and either white or yellow. Cut the plug off, tie the white or yellow wire back as you will not use it and strip the red and black wires back 1/4 to 1/2". Get the DC power supply and cut the DC plug off of it, (notice it only has two wires), strip the wores back the same distance and use crimp connectors or wire nuts and connect the two wires from the fan to it.
Piece of cake! With the adjustable DC "wall wart" or plug in power supply like comes with a cell phone or other DC appliance you can adjust the voltage between 3v and 12v which slows the fan down and speeds it up to suit your needs. Slower fans are almost always quieter and DC fans are normally quieter than AC fans to begin with.

atwinparadox2
07/24/2008, 07:38 AM
is the variable voltage power supply in addition to the 12v plug? Would you wire them all together and crimp them? Or is the VVPS the plug with the controller on it?

AZDesertRat
07/24/2008, 08:57 AM
This is a DC power adapter/supply.

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=119

You probably have several around the house already which could be used. I have several from old cell phones and cameras that I gave up years ago.

The one in the picture plugs into the wall and has a wire coming out the other end that plugs into the DC device either to charge a battery or run it directly from the supply like ssome computer printers.

Cut the DC plug off the wire(s) and splice those two wires to the fans red and black wires and you are done, it doesn't get any simpler. I like this style since it has the different voltages for different fan speeds. I run my two fans at 9 or 10.5 volts in winter and 12 volts in the summer when I need more air movement.

I found my power supplies at Harbor Freight Tools for less than $4 each but I cannot find the part number on their website anymore so they may not carry them now? They have been working for over 4 years with no failures.

inachu
07/24/2008, 02:54 PM
Silly thought.
In Jr. High science class we had to make our own DC fan from scratch. If you had this kind of class perhaps make your own?
Ahh! the memories!