PDA

View Full Version : Best Rock

nate9
07/23/2008, 04:49 PM
Hey everyone, im about to start up my 55 gallon again after moving it and am looking for opinions on where to purchase the best rock. It doesnt have to be live rock just good looking and unique rock in general. Last time i ordered 50 lbs of rock from liveaquaria and they sent me 2 round 25 lb rocks. so i am not looking to go back there.

thanks

Mykel Obvious
07/23/2008, 05:00 PM
For live rock, I had wonderful luck with Premium Aquatics... nice shapes and an abundance of life... I even got a Sun Polyp as a hitchhiker

For dry rock, take a look at www.twopartsolution.com You can buy as little or as much as you want and they have several different kinds/shapes

HTH,

reefworm
07/23/2008, 05:45 PM
I, too, have had great service and product from PA - they went so far as to # of pieces I wanted within the pounds ordered, and even got some of the general shapes I asked ! If you don't necessarily need live rock, look into Marco rock - great shapes and less $$ than live rock:
http://www.marcorocks.com/

nate9
07/24/2008, 09:57 AM
thanks all those options look great.

has anyone had any luck with the company reeferrocks

cpoll86
07/24/2008, 04:21 PM
i second the marcorocks i just got a 50lb box and it had two 15 or so pound rocks and then five 6-8 inch pieces.

rbnice1
07/24/2008, 04:58 PM
I did the premium marco rocks myself. Its dry so no hitchhikers and you can even specify what size rock you want. Ordered 50 pounds got 6 rocks and was very happy.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k67/rbnice1/IMG_1011.jpg

nate9
07/24/2008, 06:52 PM
ok thanks it sounds like im going to go with the marcorocks. tank looks great rbnice btw

bigtex52
07/24/2008, 06:57 PM
One thing to watch with the Marco rocks. It is dry but that doesn;t mean there aren't any dead crabs, snails, sponges, etc. deep in the crevasses. I cooked mine for 6 weeks in a tub in the garage and skimmed just a ton of nasty stuff out of it over that time. It can also release phosphates too which gave me a terrible case of GHA for a while but that finally quit too. Don't get me wrong, I love what I have but it caused me some misery getting it here. While you are cooking it, do lots and lots of water changes. Good luck!