PDA

View Full Version : opinions welcome for lps setup

Xubar
07/23/2008, 10:01 PM
So I'm deciding to go mainly lps in this 260. Maybe a leather or two and some softies - no sps to speak of.

What do I need to watch for as far as parameters go? I'm thinking regular water changes should pretty much keep things in check and that I shouldn't have to dose kalk or worry about calcium levels as much.

Input?

reefworm
07/23/2008, 10:13 PM
softies and LPS make use of calcium as well. the former in internal structural members whose name escapes me at the moment. So, yes, you will need to carefully monitor calcium, alkalinity and Mg. To maintain levels, I've found it helpful to drip kalkwasser [Ms. Wage's Pickling Lime is an inexpensive way to do it] via IV, and use the 2-part Bionic to "bump" levels if the kalk drip gets behind. Water changes will help replenish as well as transport nutrients. This in a tank with only soft and LPS corals - no SPS. Water needs to be as clean as you can get it. LPS will benefit from target feeding. Start with mushrooms, green-star polyps, xenia, etc. the get the hang of things. Keep a log of water test results and observations of animals and what's going on in the tank.

reefworm
07/23/2008, 10:14 PM
me again - forgot to recommend a great resource - Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals. And don't forget the coral forum here at RC.