PDA

View Full Version : plugging a rubbermaid sump

dadonoflaw
07/24/2008, 03:42 PM
i have a small hole in my rubbermaid sump that i wish to plug any ideas? someone suggested reef epoxy. what do you think?

badonkadonk
07/24/2008, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't want to rely on epoxy to stick to that plastic for the long term. I'm not sure it's polyethylene, but seems similar, and no glue I know of sticks to PE. I would be inclined to drill it out and put in a small bulkhead with a plug. That is, as long as the hole is in a sufficiently flat portion of the sump. If you try epoxy I'd rough up the surface around the hole with some coarse sandpaper first to help it to stick. And then invest in a water-on-floor sensor. You might also have luck drilling the hole out just enough to put in a small nylon bolt with a rubber washer with the bolthead side with washer placed inside the sump, and a nut tightening down on the washer on the outside.

9501gle
07/24/2008, 05:04 PM
I've had luck just using 100% silicone. Make sure you put plenty on inside and outside to help hold.

dadonoflaw
07/26/2008, 08:08 PM
thanx guys. a guy in my local club came up with a cheap easy solution using 2 bux in parts