PDA

View Full Version : Nano Protein Skimmer??

TURBO20V
07/24/2008, 07:58 PM
Hi i have a 29 gallon and was wondering what protein skimmers you guys were using or which one you think i should get i have a turbo floater right now but its too big and want something more compact any help would be appreciated..

CA2OR
07/24/2008, 08:10 PM
I have heard about 2 the first is the Fizzon which apparently isn't very good. 2nd is the Tunze which is more costly but is supposed to be great. I am going to try the fizzon first due to cost. $30vs$100 or so

NanoReefWanabe
07/24/2008, 08:48 PM
the fission isnt worth your money...you'd be better with a seaclown (seaclone), you could also try a coralife super skimmer 65 ( that is what i have) tough to tune but seems to work pretty good, also there is one by precision marine...but the tunze seems to be about the best going..

eaglesrx
07/24/2008, 09:23 PM
tunze is one of the best. if you want to go crazy, the best HOB is the deltec mce600. But, you'll hear good things on both skimmers.

staninct
07/24/2008, 09:33 PM
I had the Tunze and didn't like it. Constantly had to play with it and never really got the foam right. Got rid of it after about a month or two. Now I swear by the Remora!

cherubfish pair
07/26/2008, 09:19 PM
NanoReefWanabe, do you have a link to the Precision Marine?

NanoReefWanabe
07/27/2008, 09:12 PM
nope...it is an airstone skimmer though...believe it comes in an 18" tall version and a 30"

macchicks
07/27/2008, 09:23 PM
did not find one by persicion marine but found this air driven one
18 and 21 options
air skimmer link (http://www.aquacave.com/air-driven-protein-skimmerbr-by-aquamedic-484.html)
Product Description:
Air Driven Internal Protein Skimmers The Miniflotor and Midiflotor are small but powerful air-driven internal protein skimmers.
Their principal operating feature is the double reaction system. Within the inner cylinder, air bubbles rise and carry large quantities of water upward. This water then falls into the outer cylinder and carries the bubbles downward to the expansion cone, where the bubbles are stopped. They then rise against the strong counter-current and carry waste products to the foam collection cup. This process ensures a long contact time and extraordinary efficiency for skimmers of these diminutive sizes.
Both the Miniflotor and Midiflotor include strong holding plates that hold securely yet allow easy vertical movement of the skimmer body to regulate their foam production zone.
A lime wood air stone producing very fine bubbles is included.
Both models feature our patented conical riser tube within the collection cup to improve skimmate quality and production.

- MiniFlotor: 6" x 2" x 18", Up to 50 gal.
- MidiFlotor: 6" x 3" x 21", Up to 100 gal.

Similar to what you wee asking about? If so I am with you and would like to know if any one used it? How it did. Obviously I believe they are grossly overstating the capabilities.

sdheath
07/28/2008, 07:34 AM
AquaC Remora. I have one on my 29 and my son uses one on his 20. Great skimmers, and simple to set up with no fiddling necessary. Fantastic customer service, too.

dallemand
07/28/2008, 05:44 PM
Before you go out and buy a skimmer I would just keep an eye on your water parameters. If you dont have a problem with your water I wouldn't spend money on a skimmer. Most nano tanks can do perfectly well without a skimmer and just doing routine water changes is sufficient.

Jadams
07/28/2008, 05:48 PM
I use the Tunze DOC Skimmer and love it...I used to have a Remora and had way too many micro bubbles entering the tank. With the Tunze, I have never had a problem. Took it out of the box, hooked it up, and it started skimming right away...Almost 99% no breakin period...Great product IMO & IME

Good luck!

sprinj76
07/28/2008, 07:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13036876#post13036876 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sdheath
AquaC Remora. I have one on my 29 and my son uses one on his 20. Great skimmers, and simple to set up with no fiddling necessary. Fantastic customer service, too.

+1 I will be buying one soon to get rid of my coralife super skimmer 65.

TURBO20V
07/29/2008, 07:06 PM
thanks for the help after doing a little research i decided to get the tunze:D