PDA

View Full Version : sylicone and pvc cement

Maxi
07/24/2008, 09:03 PM
I went over to home depot to finish getting my supplies for the sump and what not.

I bought some sylicone, and I want to be sure it is reef safe. It is called

window and door sylicone I

Its an uncured product, and on the back it says 100% sylicone

Just want to make sure if its reef safe.

Also, a question on the pvc cement, is it reef safe?

calli
07/24/2008, 09:56 PM
your good on the 100% sylicone.. usally says right on the container... or go to the website of the company that made it..

About pvc cement... I would say your ok with any just wait till it sets... correct me if I am wrong... I see most people use the purple stuff..

ser_renely
07/24/2008, 10:07 PM
I get wary with with silicone. I have no exp but it gets really iffy. does it say food safe?

Maxi
07/24/2008, 10:15 PM
Uncured product causes irritation ( uncured means its pure, right?)

(Acetic acid released during cure. Avoid breathing vapors by using good ventilation. Wear skin and eye protection. Contains methyktruacetixysiliane and petroleum distillates.)

You know, maybe if the company would write things bigger would defenetley make my life easier..lol

Tswifty
07/24/2008, 10:21 PM
is it a silver label?

It sounds like the right stuff.

I believe the Silicone II is the stuff that has the anti-bacterial or whatever junk added to it, and has a gold label.

Tswifty
07/24/2008, 10:28 PM
Here's the cement and primer I used:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/1.jpg

Pictures are easier... here's the silicone:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/silicone.jpg

Maxi
07/24/2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks swifty!

You have been helpful with almost all of my posts.. Lol

the only difference between my silicone and yours is that yours is clear and mine is white.

I have the PVC cement on the right :p

Thanks

Toddrtrex
07/24/2008, 11:20 PM
I could very well be wrong......

I thought I had read someplace that now all of the GE silicone has the mold inhibitors in it, not just the bathroom/kitchen. Might be worth it to see it there is an 800 number on it and call them.

calli
07/24/2008, 11:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13017950#post13017950 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Maxi
Thanks swifty!

the only difference between my silicone and yours is that yours is clear and mine is white.

Thanks

WOOT WOOT SWIFTY!!! Poster of the Month.. ;)

Do you have to use that primer?

Toddrtrex
07/24/2008, 11:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13018058#post13018058 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by calli
WOOT WOOT SWIFTY!!! Poster of the Month.. ;)

Do you have to use that primer?

You are suppose too, but to be honest, I have never used any primer, 5 years later the PVC is still together and not leaking.

calli
07/24/2008, 11:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13018100#post13018100 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
You are suppose too, but to be honest, I have never used any primer, 5 years later the PVC is still together and not leaking.

Maybe some of your peanut butter dripped on the connections eh.. lol

Toddrtrex
07/24/2008, 11:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13018108#post13018108 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by calli
Maybe some of your peanut butter dripped on the connections eh.. lol

That very well could have been the case. ;)

Tswifty
07/25/2008, 06:23 AM
Here's the page:

http://www.caulkyourhome.com/sil1_window_door.html

Silicone I comes in both:
- Window & Door
- Kitchen & Bath

Silicone II also comes in both, but has the BioSeal mold and mildew protection.

http://www.caulkyourhome.com/sil2_window_door.html

The link I listed for Silicone I has "Bioseal" listed on it under features for some reason, but it is not in it. GE lists "Bioseal" on the packaging of the products, and charge more for the products which include it. If you look the actual product descriptions (under Premium Waterproof heading) between the two they differ, and the Slicone II lists "Bioseal" in the description, while Silicone I does not.

I've used the Clear Silicone I Window & Door on my tanks for the past 2 years without any problems.

Tswifty
07/25/2008, 06:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13017950#post13017950 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Maxi
Thanks swifty!

Thanks
No problem.

I've only ever used the clear.

I had both primer & cement because they came in a package together that was on sale when I was doing my plumbing.