PDA

View Full Version : Dosing 1000ml per day ! ??

eskymick
07/25/2008, 07:31 AM
Is it normal to dose 1000ml (or more) per day of each two part solution (Recipe 1) in order to maintain proper alk and calcium levels?

I have a fairly mature 155 gallon reef. It is moderately stocked with fish and has a number of maturing SPS corals ranging in size from baseball to basketball.

I am using a two-channel dosing pump to maintain my alk and calcium levels. I use Randy's Two-part .. Recipe 1. As mentioned above, I am now dosing slightly more than 1000ml of each part every day. Does that sound reasonable?

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/25/2008, 07:35 AM
That's on the high end, but you also have what sounds like a high end demand tank.

Have you measured magnesium? If you do not see excessive calcium carbonate deposits in the sump, on pumps, on heaters, etc, then I would not worry too much.

eskymick
07/25/2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks Randy ....

I haven't checked mag in a few weeks, but it was fine then. I do a 4 gallon water change daily and I add an ounce of the Part 3 mag solution to each 4 gallons. I will take a reading on mag this evening.

The reason for my inquiry (concern) is that I am approaching the maximum delivery capacity of my dosing pump. If daily demand goes up much more, I'll have to go with another pump and run two single-channel systems.

As for the calcium, I should mention that I slightly dilute the calcium solution because the demand is slightly less than that of the alk (at full strength). I add an additional quart of plain water for each gallon of the calcium solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/25/2008, 08:04 AM
As for the calcium, I should mention that I slightly dilute the calcium solution because the demand is slightly less than that of the alk (at full strength). I add an additional quart of plain water for each gallon of the calcium solution.

Is that because the water changes are with a high calcium mix? What mix?

eskymick
07/25/2008, 08:37 AM
I use Instant Ocean .. but I do add 45ml of the calcium solution to the 4 gallons of water, too. I've read the IO is low on calcium.

If I dose the calcium solution at full strength, the calcium test show a creep upward over time.

I know Part 1 and Part 2 should be dosed equally, but I do experience a slight imbalance when I do that.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/25/2008, 08:40 AM
OK, tracking the concentrations over time would certainly trump predictions of what should be in the solutions. :)

eskymick
07/25/2008, 10:25 AM
Does the consumption of alk and calcium generally reflect active growth of SPS corals? I've never learned the correlation between consumption, need, and growth.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/25/2008, 11:04 AM
Sure. SPS and coralline are big users as they deposit their skeletons, which are made from calcium and carbonate (for which we use alkalinity as a surrogate measure). :)

mhaith
07/25/2008, 11:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13018972#post13018972 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eskymick

I am using a two-channel dosing pump to maintain my alk and calcium levels. I use Randy's Two-part .. Recipe 1. As mentioned above, I am now dosing slightly more than 1000ml of each part every day.

Waht kind of pump are you using?

eskymick
07/25/2008, 11:23 AM
I'm using the Nautilis II 2-channel by Innovative Aquatics.

http://www.innovativeaquatics.com/products/nautilis2.html

mhaith
07/25/2008, 11:39 AM
I just went to their site. This seems like a great solution. It appears that by using larger tubing, one can dose up to 4.5 gals per day. Am I misunderstanding?

Are there any cons to the Nautilus 2?

eskymick
07/25/2008, 11:55 AM
So far, it's been very good to me. One should keep an extra set of tubing on hand, as they fail (wear out) after 4 to 6 months. They mention this in their documentation.

I've never used the single-channel tubing, so I can't comment on the actual output it would provide.

mhaith
07/25/2008, 12:00 PM
aaaaaah. so the 2 channel tubing is the limiting factor and the reason you may need a bigger pump?

eskymick
07/25/2008, 12:18 PM
I'm not sure. I still have some capacity to turn the pump up to a larger dose .. perhaps an additional 270ml per day. I'm hoping my alk demand has reached it's plateau. That is the purpose of my thread.