PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Tusk Feeding

e55MD
07/25/2008, 09:52 AM
I got a new Harlequin Tusk from Diver's Den. Their fish are supposedly eating well before they ship. Mine is disinterested in everything I have offered him so far including mysis, silversides, and krill. He looks very healthy. Are these fish poor shippers? I assume that if he gets hungry enough he will eat but I am still concerned.

StayPuft
07/25/2008, 10:13 AM
Mine eats pretty much anything I put in the tank but his favorites are chunks of raw shrimp and squid. And believe it or not... it loves algae sheets! Weird, I know.

How long have you had the fish? Maybe just needs some time to get used to the new tank.

e55MD
07/25/2008, 10:31 AM
Only since yesterday. I know it is very early still. It's just that whenever I ask the people at Liveaquaria what the fish was eating they give me a list of foods that the fish does not want in my tank. Same thing with the Golden Puffer I got from them. He was supposedly eating shrimp and snapper etc and the only thing I can get him to eat is mysis shrimp.

StayPuft
07/25/2008, 10:46 AM
I think the shipment process is stressful on some fish, plus the new tank. So it takes them a while to get adjusted. It also depends on the individual fish. The Harlequin Tusk I got from them ate the same day I put it in the tank. The Fuzzy Dwarf took a long time to start eating. I'd say give it some time and try different foods soaked in Selcon or garlic.

e55MD
07/25/2008, 10:53 AM
All my food is soaked in Selcon and Garlic. I will try and be patient.
StayPuft, I sent you a PM the other day after I saw on the LiveAquaria forum that you were looking for a Golden Puffer. I felt like I "stole" it from you by buying it first!

StayPuft
07/25/2008, 11:24 AM
I just sent you a PM. No problem, I found a Golden Puffer locally.

bigred16
07/25/2008, 01:45 PM
Mostly Harliquin Tusk I have seen and had, generally take a little time to adjust and become bold went food is put in, they are generally not extremely aggressive fish, but when they get comfortable, their feeding habits become a lot more aggressive.