PDA

View Full Version : AC Jr Moon Simulation Question

scbauer
07/25/2008, 12:27 PM
Hi all, trying to figure out exactly how my moon simulator works on my AC Jr (the older style).

I have a 25W incandescent bulb that is plugged into a 2-prong X10 lamp module. I have tested the dimming ability of the bulb by plugging in my standard X10 hardware and using the X10 remote to dim the bulb... works fine.

Here is the issue: Through the AC Jr, the moon simulator either turns the moonlight on or off, doesn't seem to dim it based on moon cycle. I have the following statement:

If MON 000/000 Then MN1 ON

In this case, MON is the moon simulator in the AC Jr and MN1 is the timer associated with my moonlight on X10 channel F11.

A few days ago, the moonlight was turning on just fine. It turned on to full intensity, so I just figured it was a full moon. Last night, it didn't even come on... I know it doesn't go from a full moon to a new moon overnight, so something seems wrong.

I tried changing the date on the AC Jr, skipping forward 3 or 4 days at a time, and the best I would get would be either On or Off, nothing in the middle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Scott

kenargo
07/25/2008, 03:14 PM
Do you have any other statements which are turning the MN1 timer on/off? You should also verify that you do not have multiple timers sharing the same address.

scbauer
07/25/2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks Ken, checked both of those. There are no other statements related to the MN1 timer and MN1 is the only timer to use address F11.

The thing that was strange was that when I set the date on the AC Jr to 7/21/08, the light turned on, then when I set it to 7/22/08 the light turned off.

Do you know if there is somewhere I can find the moon simulation table that shows moonrise and moonset times as well as intensity? In other words, on date xx/xx/xx, the moon should be X% of full brightness? I'm thinking it is a fairly new moon right now, and maybe it is actually supposed to be off (or the moon is setting very early in the evening).

Thanks!

-Scott

kenargo
07/25/2008, 03:44 PM
It looks that everything is correct and it should dim when the moon cycle is (well) dim ;)

The tables are part of the Season tables but you will need to connect using AquaNotes in order to access them; i don't know of a wa to access them using the menus.

scbauer
07/25/2008, 04:27 PM
Okay, well I just found a moon rise/set table online and it looks like the moon doesn't rise until about 10:00 or 10:30 at night this week, so it is possible the moon hadn't risen while I was working on the tank last night. I'll double-check again tonight by setting the clock to midnight. It also looks like we are currently about half way between a full moon and a new moon, so I should see the bulb turn on then quickly dim to half intensity, right?

-Scott

clp
07/25/2008, 07:15 PM
Yes, you should see the light dim when it is in auto mode.

Curt

laverda
07/27/2008, 10:41 PM
You did not say what you have the moon light plugged in to. but if your using a DC8 it would have to be plugged in to F8 or F16 for the light to dim.

scbauer
07/28/2008, 03:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13035482#post13035482 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by laverda
You did not say what you have the moon light plugged in to. but if your using a DC8 it would have to be plugged in to F8 or F16 for the light to dim.
Per original post, it's plugged into an X10 lamp module, channel F11, but thanks.

Actually, I decided to look up the moonrise and moonset table, as well as new moon and full moon dates. I thought I read somewhere that the AquaControllers moon and sun simulators are based on somewhere in the caribbean, so that's what I looked for.

Turns out, right now, the moon is setting around 10:30 pm, so when I'm working on my tank at midnight, the moonlight should be off. It looks like everything is working correct, I just happen to be checking at bad times.

Thanks for all the input.

-Scott