PDA

View Full Version : Removing a HI feather duster help!

AquaKnight
07/25/2008, 11:19 PM
I am breaking down my 29gal, and after 2 years, my feather duster has become quite embedded into one of my rocks. His tube goes a ways down into the rock.

What's the safest way to remove him without being destructive? His tube seems bonded to the rock. I was able to gently break the top area of the tube free, but there's no real way to get way near the base (I can't even see it). Is there no real hope, other then destroying either rock or him?

Additionally, feeling the tube, I was amazed at how soft it was. I always was under the impression the tube as somewhat rigid. I'd say about the rigidity of a short section of air line tubing. Does this mean he is unhealthy (lack of calcium)? This a what has me fearful to pull on it with any power. I'd hate to break the tube.

BuddhaKiss
07/25/2008, 11:27 PM
FWIW, when I got my first Feather Duster, it retreated for a while. Curious, I started tugging at the tube a bit and ended up pulling the entire tube off! The worm was still there (and I must say, they are creepy lookin). In about a week, it started rebuilding the tube. They don't use calcium to build their tubes so its natural for it to feel a bit soft. I believe they use detritus to help build their tubes...so no worries there.