PDA

View Full Version : Supplement dosage/ Vacation

Carriegiesler
07/26/2008, 08:31 AM
I have been doing water test on my 9 gallon nano on a very regular basis (twice a week). Everything seems to be thriving in tank. Nitrite-0, Nitrate-0, Phos.-0, PH-8.2-8.4, Amonia-0. Salinity is 32
When I first started out (2 months ago) I had very high AlK. , now it is getting under control but still needs to drop a little more (Currently 9, 3.43, Salfert test). I am contently checking my Calcium in fear that is will be way to low. Last night I check at it was 320 so I added 2 mL of liquid Cal. This morning I checked again(twice) and it was 300. What the heck? Those coral take in some serious Cal. So I dosed with 4ml this morning, trying to bring it up to 500.
Is there an easier way of determining approximately how much Cal to dose with? Should I put about 6ml of Cal in my tank everyday to try to keep it regulated? What do you guys/gals do? I would prefer to stick to the individual dosages and not a combo until I get my Alk back in line, as I have read it better practice as well.
What do I do when I go on vacation for a week? Do I supper dose right before I leave?

One last question (but I am sure I will have many more later). Should I be “feeding” my corals anything else other than Cal, Mag, Iodine, strontium and Molybdenum? If so--- what?

My bio load:
2 fish: Percula Clown, fire fish
Skunk cleaner shrimp
2 types of xenia (small)
5-7 small frags of zoa’s
2 large frags of zoa’s
3 red mushrooms
4 small heads of anchor/hammer
6 crabs
2 snails
12 lbs of live rock
15 lbs of live sand

Thanks for any advice.

shaginwagon13
07/26/2008, 09:18 AM
You will find that when you dose with Calcium you won't be able to get it up to 420 unless your Magnesium is at 1300. If you have low magnesium then your tank won't be able to increase its calcium levels no matter how much you dose. Test your Magnesium levels and get it up to around 1300 and then dose calcium and you will see that you can get it up to 420 or since your going on vacation you can hit the 500 ppm mark if thats what you want. Looking at your list of corals and the size of your tank you will have to dose around once a week. You should know that dosing calcium will drop your PH level and so thats why a 2-part solution like B-Ionic works really well.

I do a water change (usually around 10-15%) every week and then I dose right after the change. I dose once a week and at the end of every week before I do my water changes I test to see if I dosed too much or too little. After a few weeks you will get to know just how much your tank needs to keep your levels in the right spots. To be honest the only additives I dose is Magnesium, B-Ionic and then i dose for trace elements.

My main corals are a carpet anenome, brain coral, crocea clam and some polyp colonies and I feed every 2-3 days. I feed Cyclop-eeze and Phytoplankton and I feed my anemone Silversides twice a week...

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=fd-aclf03
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=dt-p075

When are you leaving for vacation? I would do a water change and dose right before I leave...hope this helps :)

Carriegiesler
07/26/2008, 09:28 AM
Mag is 1350- this morning.
I forgot to mention earlier, I do about a 2 gal. water change every Sat.

I pickup some Phyto from my LFS but have not used it yet. Wasn't sure how offen to use but now I know.

I plan to do a water change before I leave and dose it if needed.

Thanks Shaginwagon 13!