PDA

View Full Version : ORA blue millie

ODShaun
07/26/2008, 06:44 PM
within the past couple of days my blue millie is starting to lose its polyps and kinda bleaching at its base, and its working its self around. my water params are where they need to be and all other sps/ coral are doing good. My tank is sps dominant under t5 lighting, exactly about 13-15 inches away from fixture. On the milli, its still has great PE towards the top and coloration. I havent and cannot take it off its ORA plug because it was encrusting around it when i got it, now it looks like the encrusting is going away... no pest either, I'v have been keeping a close watch on it day and night...help and opinion is appreciated.. thanks

Amphiprion
07/26/2008, 07:53 PM
Well, start from the top--what are your water parameters? How much flow is the piece in?

ODShaun
07/27/2008, 12:44 AM
i figured it out.. i got home late and i saw bugs crawling on the base and around.. what type of pest is it.. and what do i do.. sorry dont have a camera to take pics

flyyyguy
07/27/2008, 12:49 AM
bugs?? again...need more info.

just becsue there is a critter on or near it doesnt necessarily mean that is the reason. millis are one fo the last acros in the tank to get red bugs and aefw's IME, and neither, especially red bugs which "crawl" as you stated usually cause visible damage as quickly as you describe

moo0o
07/27/2008, 03:24 AM
please just give us your parameters and the method you use to keep those parameters stable

mixed_reefer
07/27/2008, 12:34 PM
I bought an ORA mille from a lfs.. comming from ora and my respected fish store i added it to my tank with just a very close inspection. Having had redbugs before, i thought i would see them if they were present, afew never even crossed my mind cause i thought that milles were safe from those predators... Within a month the PE was nothing and then i saw the problem, Redbugs, real bad. The population exploded and they actually killed the coral, it peeled its flesh and with the amount of redbugs on the coral at the time of its demise i KNOW they killed it.

flyyyguy
07/27/2008, 12:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13032272#post13032272 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mixed_reefer
I bought an ORA mille from a lfs.. comming from ora and my respected fish store i added it to my tank with just a very close inspection. Having had redbugs before, i thought i would see them if they were present, afew never even crossed my mind cause i thought that milles were safe from those predators... Within a month the PE was nothing and then i saw the problem, Redbugs, real bad. The population exploded and they actually killed the coral, it peeled its flesh and with the amount of redbugs on the coral at the time of its demise i KNOW they killed it.

just my opinion, but having quite a bit of experience with red bugs in my tanks and helping others as well as experimenting with them...........I would venture to say the red bugs are not the root of what killed your coral. they simply do not kill that fast, and rarely kill in the first place if at all. poor coral health, poor PE and poor coloring they can cause for sure, and all of these things can result in a weaker coral susceptible to other things.

Look at tamarinthais TOTM. prime example the corals can still thrivebeing infested with red bugs assuming everything else is perfect

again, jmo :)

mixed_reefer
07/27/2008, 12:44 PM
It was orange with bugs B, i feel the same way as you, normally.

ODShaun
07/27/2008, 05:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13030638#post13030638 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by moo0o
please just give us your parameters and the method you use to keep those parameters stable

water 1.024
mag 1400 salifert
alk 9 dkh salifert
cal 420 api
nitrates 0 api
nitrites 0 api
phos 0 api
ph 8.4 api
amm 0 api

i dose esv b-ionic every other day, dose mag with warner marine probably once a week sometime twice.. feed fishes once to twice a day with h20 mysis or h20 spurilina with selcon. at night i'll throw in some new life spectrum pellets...

lights are t5 on for about 7 hour a day, and i have korilias 3 and 4 on each end of my 48" long tank...

moo0o
07/27/2008, 06:40 PM
hmm...maybe theres no flow at the base? thats my guess.

ODShaun
07/27/2008, 11:05 PM
well what i ended up doing was just fragging the top portion of the uneffected part or the milli, so far so good , i hope. so far it has great PE and looks happy

ahullsb
07/28/2008, 12:51 AM
I was going to suggest that there may not have been enough flow getting to the base as well. I'm convinced I lost a colony that way a few months ago.