PDA

View Full Version : what are the benefits for a fuge on a fowler?

bbauer
07/27/2008, 01:08 AM
I have been reading a few threads in this forum and I have noticed that several times many of you have discussed putting refugiums on your fowler tanks. Now I dont have any experience with reef tanks so I don't really understand the benifits but I was told by the guy that owned a LFS in my area that a refugium is not necessary on a folwer tank. Obviously many of you believe it is a good idea so what are the benefits to rinning one on a fowler. I have a 110 tall with about 120 lbs of live rock in mine.

1ucky
07/27/2008, 06:05 AM
I turned my wet-dry filter in to a refugium after have major issues with Nitrates in my 180 FOWLR; I removed all my bio balls and replaced them with live rock rubble, cheato, and Mangroves. I have 0 Nitrates for the longest I can remember.

joeyt66
07/27/2008, 08:53 AM
Exactly!!!
It will help lower your Nitrates

sherman
07/27/2008, 10:27 AM
Also considering changing my wet dry to a refuge.

Suggestions where I can get more info and ideas how to proceed?

1ucky
07/27/2008, 03:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13031407#post13031407 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sherman
Also considering changing my wet dry to a refuge.

Suggestions where I can get more info and ideas how to proceed?

I simply removed all my bioballs and egg-crate from the sump area and replaced them with rubble, chaeto, mangroves, and a light; I left the sponge in place to keep any of the chaeto or debris from flowing into my return pump. I'll try to post a pic so you can get an idea....

FishyMel
07/27/2008, 03:47 PM
I have a 20 gallon fuge on my 150 and it almost eliminates my need for skimming. I only empty my skimmer every 2 weeks and I'm good for nitrates and phosphates.

sean48183
07/27/2008, 11:33 PM
I grow massive amounts of hair algae in mine and it knocks nitrates down to zero. Grow it in the fuge and you won't get it in your tank.

danorth
07/28/2008, 12:06 AM
I'd like to see some pics of the mangroves and other fuges please.

Sk8r
07/28/2008, 12:07 AM
cleaner water, more oxygen for high consumers like tangs, angels: cheatomorpha has a very high oxy output. Plus you can culture mysis shrimp and give your guys some interesting hunting: they go right through the pump---unfortunately will be lost to the filter if the fish don't get them the first round.

bbauer
07/28/2008, 06:55 PM
how can you make the hair algea grow in the fuge instead of the tank?

Sk8r
07/28/2008, 07:01 PM
Get cheatomorpha macro algae: lit nearly round-the-clock it will steal the phosphate from the tank, making it impossible for algae to succeed in the tank, but abundant in the fuge. You COULD I suppose even grow stuff like gracilaria, which I think tangs like, and keep them from destroying your seed stock. ;) You could have quite a nice little specialty algae farm going if you had the right lighting and enough room. Feed your algae eaters---and their poo would cycle phosphate back through the system to fertilize the growing algae in the fuge, while supporting copepods and that tank-saving extra sandbed. I think a fuge, properly set up for that purpose, might be a nice little sideline for a FOWLR.

sean48183
07/29/2008, 04:03 PM
It's all about lighting to get hair algae to grow in your fuge. I have tried chateo and caulerpa and every other type of macro algae that you can imagine but the hair algae just consumes it in the long run. I think those kind of algaes are great for coral tanks where you don't need as much nutrient removal. In Fowlr you need maximum removal and nothing does like hair algae. For me what I do is get screw in compact flueroscent bulbs in the 5k to 10k range with 65k really being about perfect. I light mine 24 hours a day so the hair algae is really loving it but I only lit my fuge for the 50g(my last tank) for around 16 hours a day. This tank has alot of big poopers in it so I upped it. If you give the hair algae a place it likes better to grow then it won't grow in your main tank. You will have to crop it about every 3 weeks as it does grow fast but think of that as nutreint removal.

bbauer
07/29/2008, 09:52 PM
thanks for the replies, Ive got enough room under my cabinet to add a refugium so I think Im going to do it. Will a small 10 gallon that will gravity feed into my sump be big enough? And do i need to add sand or mud to get the best benefits? Also will the water flow coming out of my overflow into the fuge be enough water movement. My tank is a 110 tall being gravity fed into a 20 gal or so sump.

tb27272
07/30/2008, 09:17 PM
since my fuge got going well my skimmer has become useless. I don't get any skimmate and nitrates are always at zero with heavy feeding and a large bioload.

danorth
07/30/2008, 10:51 PM
Pictures please of these fuges that are so dramatically reducing nitrates, also what is in the tank producing the nitrates to begin with?