PDA

View Full Version : What is the best siphon to sweep up bb tanks

reefnfun
07/28/2008, 07:13 AM
Hello eveyone:
I went bb this time and I need to sweep up the bottom. There is some loose gravel that fell off the rock and a bunch of debris. I don't want to blast it into the water column. What is the best siphon to suck this stuff up? let me know, Post a link if you can. Have a great day, Mike

GSMguy
07/28/2008, 07:17 AM
i just use a 1/2" flexible tube it works great.

any kind of gravel vac will only suck the light stuff, to get sand and rock shed out you just use the tube, they do clog with big shells and stuff though.

abulgin
07/28/2008, 07:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13036814#post13036814 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
i just use a 1/2" flexible tube it works great.

any kind of gravel vac will only suck the light stuff, to get sand and rock shed out you just use the tube, they do clog with big shells and stuff though.

+1. A piece of 1/2" tubing is perfect--creates enough suction to get anything/everything off the bottom. As stated, a large "gravel vacuum" will not create enough suction to get small detritus off the bottom.

reefnfun
07/28/2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks very much:
I am off to the hardware, sometimes the best solutions are the cheapest. take care

MrSandman
07/28/2008, 08:06 PM
I also use a 1/2" tube but what i also do is tie a filter bag to the other end of the tube and stick it in my sump. Start the siphon and the bag removes the particulates and allows clean water back into the sump.

Shouse94
07/28/2008, 10:53 PM
Yup, that's what I do.

Bonebrake
07/28/2008, 11:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13041908#post13041908 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrSandman
I also use a 1/2" tube but what i also do is tie a filter bag to the other end of the tube and stick it in my sump. Start the siphon and the bag removes the particulates and allows clean water back into the sump.

You're smarter than you look! :p

(Referring to your avatar.)

reefnfun
07/29/2008, 06:29 AM
well, I bought the tube and started the siphon into a empty salt bucket. I only got a little sea water in my mouth lol. Then the tube came out of the bucket and got water all over my living room floor, (hardwood). I had to scramble to get it up before my wife came in there and saw it. I guess I am not too smart, I will have her help me next time. Honey, It was only a small flood, lol.

Flatlander
07/29/2008, 07:34 AM
I use about a 3/8th or so tube, when doing a 5g water change, so as not to suck the water all out before the detritus.

If using a filter bag of some type as mentioned before and no water change, then I use a larger diameter hose

myerst2
07/29/2008, 02:10 PM
As a recommendation when I had my BB 155 reef. I set up all of the powerheads to push detritus and uneaten food to the corners of the tank. It takes some tinkering but it works very well. Especially if you have a wave maker, as this helps to direct all the waste to one area. The easiest I found was to set it up for the waste to go to the back corners. I believe a prior TOTM had this setup in his tank. Hope this helps, Tim