PDA

View Full Version : Ehiem vs AquaBee

yitman
07/28/2008, 01:52 PM
Which pumps are better? and why?

JRaquatics
07/28/2008, 02:21 PM
Eheim is a better pump. To my knowlege they never had start up issues, cool running, pull massive air with pin wheel and mesh, quiet and reliable. I am not going to get into the AB.

8BALL_99
07/28/2008, 02:42 PM
If you will notice.. Most skimmers like the H&S need Two of the ABs to have the same rating as one Eheim.. Alteast almost.. 2 ABs outperform 1 Eheim a little.. If you need a smaller skimmer that only needs one AB then its a good pump.. If you have the choice between one pump vs two for about the same performance.. I'd go for the one pump...Both pumps seem to be pretty good. But you can't really compare them 1 on 1.

Jim_S
07/28/2008, 04:31 PM
AB have a directional flap inside the pump that tends to get stuck over time w/out cleaning them thoroughly every 6 months. Eheims do not have this flap.

With that said, a very important aspect of protein skimming is air/water ratio. 1 eheim draws less air than 2 aquabees, HOWEVER, 2 aquabees will also push more water, throwing off the air/water ratio, and thus making them less efficient.

yitman
07/29/2008, 12:56 PM
Sounds reasonable.

On the other hand , I am trying to understand why companies like H&S ,korallen-zucht and Deltec using aquabee more then Ehiem, further more they are using the aquabee 5000 for the new skimmers.

Jim_S
07/29/2008, 02:37 PM
For the exact same reason I'm sure.

The AB5000 most likely puts out a better air/water ratio than 2 eheims. Look at the model skimmer that the AB5000 are used on. On the H&S A250 it replaces the 2 eheims.

Not sure if the AB5000 has a directional flap. Thats a good question to ask finsreef!

Fukalite
07/29/2008, 02:42 PM
Are ABs only used in skimmer applications? I never hear of them used as returns or on CLs? Are all available AB models too small? I apologize if OT.

yitman
07/29/2008, 02:58 PM
1 eheim draws less air than 2 aquabees, HOWEVER, 2 aquabees will also push more water, throwing off the air/water ratio, and thus making them less efficient. [/B]

can u pls explain this ?

Jim_S
07/29/2008, 03:34 PM
When an AB pump has a pinwheel on it, it draws in x amount of air and pushes y amount of water. This is the pump's air/water ratio.

A 1:1 air/water ratio is what manufacturers are trying to obtain. Certain pumps are better than others at achieving this. Laguna's, red dragons and sicces are good skimmer pumps because they can get very close to or reach the 1:1 ratio.

2 of the AB pumps together draw in more air than 1 eheim, but also push more water than one eheim, taking the AB's further away from the 1:1 ratio than the eheim is.

The same applies to the larger AB5000 pumps. 1 AB 5000 has a better air/water ratio than 2 eheims.

HTH

Jim