PDA

View Full Version : 75gal Skimmer?

APrond11
07/28/2008, 03:18 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post on these forums and I have to say the amount of information here is amazing. Anyways, after a 5-year hiatus from reefkeeping I am thinking about jumping back in. I plan on using a 75gal tank with a 29gal sump. I currently have 2 175W MH lights, but am considering switching to 6 T5's as they seem to be the new craze. I plan on keeping SPS and LPS corals, and am a tad concerned about the light intensity. My main concern however, lies in which skimmer to pick? There are tons of options available now, and I really dont have enough experience as of late to make an educated decision, so thus, I am posting on these boards in hopes that someone can help me out. I cannot afford the top of the line skimmer, but I dont want to sell myself short and be disappointed later. I am looking at a budget of around $200-300, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks happy reefing!

Fish_wiz2
07/28/2008, 03:50 PM
an octopus nw-150 or 200 should do and they are priced $150-$200

ahullsb
07/28/2008, 03:53 PM
I found a Euroreef rs 135 for 250 bucks used. It's rated for a tank much bigger than ours. You could go the used route and check local forums, craigslist, or the used goods forum here on rc. On another note I do like t5's and use them, but for a 75 gallon tank I think your 175 watt halides would do just fine. I'm growing sps in a 55 using 2 150 watt halides with no problem.

Andrew
07/28/2008, 03:55 PM
[welcome]

jdmcivicek9
07/28/2008, 04:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13039836#post13039836 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by APrond11
Hello everyone. This is my first post on these forums and I have to say the amount of information here is amazing. Anyways, after a 5-year hiatus from reefkeeping I am thinking about jumping back in. I plan on using a 75gal tank with a 29gal sump. I currently have 2 175W MH lights, but am considering switching to 6 T5's as they seem to be the new craze. I plan on keeping SPS and LPS corals, and am a tad concerned about the light intensity. My main concern however, lies in which skimmer to pick? There are tons of options available now, and I really dont have enough experience as of late to make an educated decision, so thus, I am posting on these boards in hopes that someone can help me out. I cannot afford the top of the line skimmer, but I dont want to sell myself short and be disappointed later. I am looking at a budget of around $200-300, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks happy reefing!

im running 2 250w mh over my 75gal definatly wouldnt go less it seems like just the right amount of light...

APrond11
07/28/2008, 05:01 PM
im running 2 250w mh over my 75gal definatly wouldnt go less it seems like just the right amount of light...

That was my concern as well, I think the 350W from the 2 MH just isnt a sufficient light output for the SPS. Any ideas on adding some supplemental lighting to the 2 MH? BTW...thank you as well to those of you who provided input on the protein skimmers.