PDA

View Full Version : hows this for a wood tank??

A.T.T.R
07/28/2008, 09:22 PM
ok how is this

it is 8 ft by 4 ft

vertical support are 4 by 4's cross support is 2 by 4's ( two of them cnnected to each set of 4 by 4's

the board over it is 3/4 ply
water depth is 10 inch MAX

think the area between the supports will hoald up to the weight ( 4 supports spreading over the 8 ft ply...)

any ideas?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/astreafish/sss.jpg

kinda worried teh 8 inch water depth ( it is 10 inch max but i need to make sure that it cant spash over..

areze
07/28/2008, 09:29 PM
8" deep? you dont have any worries. Id run some cross members the other way, but at 8" you dont have a ton of pressure to worry about.

I would like to ask "why" though, wood is such a pain, unpredictable lifespan, and your looking at the most expensive part of it, big huge expansive area to cover in expensive epoxy.

you could build the whole thing from a sheet and a half of 1/4" acrylic at a cost <150$. hell, step it up a bit in thickness and your still under 200 and solid as a rock. more attractive, stronger, more duraable, waaayyy easier. you dont even have to cut 1 sheet, you just have to cut the sides. doesnt get any better than that!

A.T.T.R
07/28/2008, 09:52 PM
tank over all will be 12 -16 ft long

this is just the longest area ... ( it will be two of these butted together and then fiberglass boared together)

i dont feel like working with acrylic since i dont nkow much about it
and id still need to build a stand anywys

chudsosoft
07/29/2008, 02:15 PM
What's the distance between cross members? This would be more sound if the cross members (2x4s) sat on TOP of the posts, rather than being attached to the sides. You also need to incorporate some diagonals between the cross members and posts so the whole thing can't fold and end up flat on the floor

A.T.T.R
07/29/2008, 02:29 PM
well i will probobly reenforce the thing alot after the basic frame is built

( such as a two by 4 on the sid eof the 4x4 and under the ther 2x4)

i think i will also do 2x4's beween each cross support

the biggest reason i am building it like this is that i need to beable to make it perfectly level and this allows henbest way to do that since it is being built in place