PDA

View Full Version : ball valve location

Akronviper
07/29/2008, 11:21 AM
Do I really need ball valves at my bulkheads, tanks a 75 gal AGA/RR. I think that a valve near my bulkheads would possibly break my tank. If I just let my water level drain below my overflow it would be safer. I have a basement sump and will have valves inline away from the tank.

areze
07/29/2008, 11:42 AM
location of a valve makes no difference...

even if there were a union there... you wont be disconnecting the main tank and moving it without draining it like you need that line to hold water or something.

at best itd be one of those things, Ill never need it, but Ill do it anyway. but I probably wouldnt.

Ive never ever in my years closed off the return line from the main display. I cant fathom any reason to do so... when would you want to hold your water level in your display above the overflow?

das75
07/29/2008, 12:30 PM
On mine I seen no reason for valves on the drains other than directly ahead of the basement refugium to control flow. I'm of the same logic as you, if I need to mod or fix drain bulkhead (which I've done), I just turn off the return pump and let the tank drain down.

I do have valves immediately below the tank for my CL though as all these bulkheads are below the water line.

Now if having a Herbie style drain (or considering one in the future), you'll need the valve and right below the tank is the most convenient for adjusting level.

billdogg
07/29/2008, 02:09 PM
i didn't even bother with valves for the drain lines - why restrict them? just someplace else for a pesky snail to get stuck

Akronviper
07/29/2008, 02:44 PM
Well you guys just confirmed what I thought. I've been planning for 6 months now thinking about putting the valve right below the display, then today I thought, why? I see it on a lot of tanks on here so I assumed I needed it to.