PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wrasse would you add here...

Recty
07/29/2008, 01:11 PM
I'm looking for a good wrasse to add to my 210g tank.

Current inhabitants are... or soon will be...

2 Semilarvatus B/F
Emperor angel
Male/female bluethroat trigger pair
Purple tang

I dont want a wrasse that is real aggressive, as my B/F arent REAL timid but they arent real aggressive either, so I dont want a wrasse that will be stressing them out.

I really like the marble wrasse, anyone recommend those?

Tank has only a 1" or so sand bed with about 150lbs of live rock in the tank, another 30-40 lbs down below in the sump.

Basically, I'm wanting a fish that isnt shaped like all my other fish. I've basically got big, plate looking fish except the triggers but even they are the basic "fish" shape you think of when you think fish. A wrasse appeals to me with the way they move and they look more like a hot dog than a fish :)

Anyway, recommendations are more than welcome.

marine buoy
07/29/2008, 01:28 PM
wrasses are constantly swimming and can upset quieter tank mates. if you have had your triggers in for a while ,they may well end up quarrelling with the wrasse,depending on the size of your tank. ive a male aqua green/blue birdmouthwrasse. he lives with a picasso trigger,(and others) there are squabbles infrequently between the trigger,who gets defensive of his territory and chases off the birdmouth. i hope this helps.

danorth
07/29/2008, 01:55 PM
Paddlefin wrasse

AlexP_03
07/29/2008, 03:14 PM
i always thought the african hebrachium wrasses were real beauties

Recty
07/29/2008, 04:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13047000#post13047000 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AlexP_03
i always thought the african hebrachium wrasses were real beauties Hmmm, I'm not finding anything online about hebrachium.

prime311
07/29/2008, 04:37 PM
Harlequin Tusk Of course, they arent as hotdog-like as some other wrasses.

Recty
07/29/2008, 05:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13047648#post13047648 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by prime311
Harlequin Tusk Of course, they arent as hotdog-like as some other wrasses. Yeah, I've already had a harlequin tusk, I'm going to try something else this time. And I do want the "hotdog" look of the wrasse, I've never had a fish with that shape.

AlexP_03
07/30/2008, 07:41 AM
try this spelling hebraicum wrasse. sorry for the spelling mistake. its in the thalasoma genus. it also goes by the common name of goldbar wrasse. ive always loved this fish but not many people know about them.

Recty
07/30/2008, 10:31 AM
The goldbar wrasse I know. They recently added them to LiveAquaria, I was just looking at them yesterday, unfortunately sold out but I agree they are a pretty fish.

Do you have any experience with them or just like the looks? I'm hoping for something not too aggressive for my Semilarvatus.

sean48183
07/30/2008, 03:28 PM
If you don't want aggressive don't go lunar. My lunar just snapped like yesterday. I added a 7" emperor a week ago and for some reason yesterday he snapped and is not only eating the emperor's fins but all my fishes fins. Until this he had never chased a fish ever. It's like the emperor has opened up his dark side. One of my chromis has already fell victim and half my other fishes fins are torn to shred. The emperor is holding on for dear life but I don't know what's going to happen. Anyways stay away from a lunar with your mix.

Recty
07/30/2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I already knew the lunare were aggressive fish.

I think I'm going to go with a checkerboard wrasse after asking around on other forums and doing some more research.