PDA

View Full Version : General Questions For My New Mantis Set-Up

black_majik
07/30/2008, 06:37 AM
Basically after much time thinking I decided to set up a mantis tank, now a have a 30 gallon rated filter on a 5 1/2 gallon tank. I plan on keeping the ( excuse my spelling) waenere ( lime green guy) or any other shrimps that won't exceed 4 in.

First off what are the chances of a smaller smasher breaking the glass?

What would be better to do- 1) Set-up larger rocks in the shape of a cave/den and put the mantis in or 2) Grab some rubble rocks and scatter them about and allow the mantis to make his own home.

Do I need a lid of the tank?

I may have more but I'll just ask on this thread.

Rob_Zamites
07/31/2008, 04:20 PM
I'd go on the deeper side for a sand bed (2.5"-3"), make sure you out your LR in first. Smaller species shouldn't break the glass :) As far as a top, I'd play it safe and use one. Mantis like to bust up rock and arrange it to suit themselves, so large pieces for a solid base, then some rubble for mantis decorative objects -- if he/she doesn't like what you provide, I'm sure it will be created in short time :)

*still looking for a wennerae in MI*

black_majik
07/31/2008, 11:16 PM
Well I am excited to say I will be upgrading to a 20H or 15 for my arrival. ( My LFS can order in Peacock mantis shrimp or Assorted so I took the chance and my surprise was a Gonodactylaceus ternatensis

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=g_ternatensis

Thanks for the response Rob. I'll try to get pictures

gemini aquarius(t)
08/01/2008, 12:35 AM
I think that you should put the live rock in first with pieces of rubble around the tank for a custom entrance.
JMHO

As far as them breaking glass: as long as its not paper thin glass, i think you will be fine.