PDA

View Full Version : Corals LPS SPS

jsmall79
07/30/2008, 02:13 PM
New to the hobby! Reef Central is a must the people are great I tell everyone I see about this site 2 Thumps way UP Sorry this gets me excited...Now for the question my tank is 36"L x 23"D x 12.25 W I want to know what coral, LPS, & SPS is good to start with? Also, I want to do Metal Halide What would I need as far as watts being that the tank is so deep?

Thanking You All in Advance,
John :confused:

snorvich
07/30/2008, 02:33 PM
Actually, your tank is not real deep since it is less than 24 inches. What kind of corals do you WANT to keep? LPS are easier. Since your tank is relatively short on the width side, I suspect that LPS might be a better choice. If so, you will probably want T5 lights. Also, can you tell us a bit about your filtration such as do you have a sump? Protein skimmer? Etc. And WELCOME to reef central. We are glad you are here.

jsmall79
07/30/2008, 02:52 PM
I am cycling my tank I saw "limpitsreef" on you tube I am DIY a 10 gal. sump refugium. I will be getting a protien skimmer as well. As of now I have an aquaclear 500 Under gravel filter aquaclear 50 power head.

Click little red house
I really appreciate the feed back
Thanks,
John

seapug
07/30/2008, 03:06 PM
Since your tank is still young, you ought to go ahead and pull out that UGF. I'd also invest in some additional live rock and add the protein skimmer, sump, and upgrade the lighting ASAP. Once you do get all those elements in place, let it run for a month or so before investing in any coral. Good luck!